Longtime ambitions, need some help with my soon to be new system.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jotti, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jotti

jotti New Member

Basically I need an upgrade from my Gateway AMD Athlon. I think it's like 800mhz, 20gig hdd, 128mb of some shitty gateway ram, nvidia 64meg vid card, and my cable internet.

I have been getting away with this thing for way too long, since gr 9 and i'm in first year college now. Last year i bought some stuff to put together a new system for myself but ran out of money and soon out of the ambitions to complete it. Well the time has come and I ask you guys to help me out.

Sofar i have:
    case
    motherboard
    very crappy ram that i got for 25 bucks can't be worth more than 5 bucks now.
    processor

The mobo is a Msi Kt3 Ultra2. From what i've read it's not the greatest out there but it is fairly decent. Here is a link/specs: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/msi/kt3ultra/kt3ultrap1.htm

Here is some info on it:

CPU

- Support Socket A (Socket 462) for AMD® Athlon™ / Athlon XP / Duron™ processor
    - Support 600MHz up to 2000+ MHz processor and higher

Chipset

VIA® KT333 (552 BGA) Chipset
    - FSB @200/266MHz
    - AGP 4X and PCI Advanced high performance memory controller

VIA® VT8233A (376 BGA) Chipset
    - High Bandwidth V-link Client controller
    - Integrated Faster Ethernet LPC
    - Integrated Hardware Sound Blaster/Direct Sound AC97 audio
    - Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode PCI EIDE controller
    - ACPI
    FSB

100/133 (200/266)MHz clocks are supported
    Main Memory

-Support six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR DIMMs
    -Support a maximum memory size up to 3GB
    -Support 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM

Now the processor i have is a amd xp 1600+. Back then i bought it for 75bucks. I don't think you can even buy it any more. Should i just junk it and get a xp 2200? Is that the max i can go? Or should i just put in the 1600 and up the fsb on it a bit. I made sure back then when they were nice and new i bought the one that overclocked really well.

So pretty much i need a harddrive looking at about 120gig. A decent video card around 100 bucks. What are my options? DDR Ram! The sdram in this pos is killing me. It has nice 6.1 onboard sound so i can live with that. Keyboard/mouse/monitor i can find on my own. Also will need a psu.

Any help appreciated. :hsd: :eek4:

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

that mobo is already outdated dude... still usable though. my old xp2200 overclocked pretty good. if you want a budget system thats still fast, get a new socket A mobo with a 2500xp mobile. those cpus (stock @ 1.8ghz can hit 2.5ghz easily, even upwards of 2.7 when properly cooled, and can be had for under a hundred bucks. along with some decent pc3200 ram (512mb for 40ish$) you can have yourself a pretty fast system for about 200 bucks, but you'd still need a hard drive.

3. jotti

jotti New Member

I know it's pretty dated. But i think it'll be much better than what i currently have. I just need something solid for ebay/forums/internet/music/burning cd's/homework/and the occasional counterstrike. :noes:

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

can't your old system to that? my old pentium 166 Mhz computer could do those things. sure it wasn't extremely fast. But they worked.

5. jotti

jotti New Member

My current comp just hangs and hangs and pisses me off. The best is when it hasto play catchup to my typing. *Type really fast...* *wait.....* *words appear now* lol.

I also do some photoshop etc but just as a side webdesign thing. Just want a rocksolid comp basically for a few months. Then will probably upgrade to an xp64 or whatever that new amd gig is now. :)

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

try reformating it.

7. jotti

jotti New Member

Yeah i plan to before i give it to my dad.

8. jotti

jotti New Member

any more help?

9. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest