SRS Long story - but i got disrespected at a meeting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nukegoat, Mar 26, 2004.

1. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

So... I'm at this gilroy meeting (my hometown) and those meetings usually suck, but i had friends with me. I get asked to chair the meeting, so i do my chair and apparently do a good job. This lady is talking during the whole meeting. Since the secretary didn't ask her politely to be quiet, as soon as i called on someone to speak, i looked at her and put my finger to my lips.. like a "shhh". To make a long story shorter, she freaked out and was like 'Oh no you didn't!" and then after the meeting proceeded to yell at me. I told her that i may not be the secretary but as one addict to another, she was being rude and i needed to hear the message. As such - she kept getting pissed off at me... saying i was singling her out or something... argh

i had to turn and walk away without resolve because she kept yelling at me and telling me how it is and blah blah blah. she thinks she was right. She was talking during the meeting, i asked her to be quiet... plain and simple, right? Well anyways she leaves the meeting and says shit like 'fuck you, you punk ass white boy, you fuckin cracker' and all this.

Man. I was pissed but I had to realize I didn't do anything wrong, and its on her. Just goes to show you... this lady has > 6 years clean. Wtf...

Oh, and another thing... today = 2.5 years clean exactly :bigthumb:

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

2.5 yrs it teh cool.

the lady is teh not cool. :hs:

3. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Yea. I just was shocked, i guess. She threw racial slurs at me in front of like 10 different people... so...

its hard to say because i dont like her, but i hope she doesnt' go off and use over it

4. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

shoulda smacked the bitch.

I will admit, the meetings i go to in WA, there are crosstalkers galore... however, they do tend to sit in the back... they attend the meetings because they need to for themselves, the crosstalking is only done quietly and we joke around.

since the gropers group tends to be a lot more relaxed, its great, because crosstalkers still get the message from the meeting and will shut up when they hear something being said that they need to hear...

but its also because we're comfortable enough to do this around the fellowship... a lot of the seattle area/everett area meetings always have a few goofballs throughout the meetings, I'll admit to being one of them...

but recovery doesn't just stick to the meeting itself... its also through the friends you aqquire through the meetings, as well as when you go out for coffee as a group afterwards with those same people ... (basically extends the meeting another 2 hours, just less formal so to speak)

However, when somebody tells us to quiet down or gives us a signal to shut up... we do so out of respect to all parties, even whispers are slim to none...

of course... crosstalking is part of meetings IMO... since when you're talking and are a crosstalker yourself, you can easilly throw in a joking insult to the other crosstalkers and make them go "what? fuck you too!" and more or less get a laugh out of the entire group...

just don't be an asshole about it...
    if somebody gives the quiet signal and it goes ignored or there is a problem with it afterwards, thats a big fucking no-no.

I don't know about meetings elsewhere, but up there, children are usually parts of the group as well...
    though they may be distracting, parents in NA need to go to meetings as well and can't always afford a sitter, and I cannot think of a better environment than a meeting to have a child at, even though I hate children, I'd much rather have the parents at the meeting than not coming because they didn't have a place for their children... there is always somebody at a meeting who will watch a child or two (my mom, for instance) when others need to really focus on the topic at hand... i've even been known to watch a child (seriously, only one of them :rofl: ) a couple of times when the mother needed to focus on the meeting...

meh, i forget where i was going with that :o

5. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

if you go back and she does the same thing call her out in the middle of the meeting. If she starts to give you lip let her know she's being disrespetful to the other people, and rude. Ask her how she would feel if she was trying to talk about her problem and someone else was talking. Age old lesson treat people as you want to be treated.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:werd: to both responses. Furthermore - its said at the beginning of the meeting. :uh:

btw im now the secretary of that meeting and if she wants to have a conversation during the meeting, it'll get ugly :rant2:

7. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

send her to the back of the room...

the way gropers is set up is basically a ring of tables in the center of the room

----
    | |
    | |
    ----

more or less like that :o

then on the outside of the tables it looks like this...

|x
    |x
    |x
    |x
    |x
    |x
    |x
    |x
    |x x x x x x x x x x

thats along the walls... just chairs no tables

then theres an open space that is filled with chairs as well

crosstalkers sit in the corners (I sit in the direct corner where the wall meets, thats my spot :o ) ... I rarely sit at the table because I'm not much of a talker a lot of the time as far as talking in front of groups ... and when i need to get things off my chest i can do it while sitting in the corner ;)

i love how that meeting is set up...

it lets everyone get involved yet still gives people the space they need

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Guest

Give her a dunce cap and tell her to go sit in the corner.

9. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

you got served:rant2::rofl: Those things usually work them selves out. I would say your alot further along in your program than she is, based on how she acted. Maybe she learned something by her words. I wouldn't sweat it.

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I guess what is said in the meeting doesnt' always stay in the meeting. now like half of the local NA members think i don't like mexican people cause i "singled her out" and they claim i told her to "shut the fuck up"

my sponsor is a 58 year old mexican guy who walks around with a cane... and i dont' tell people to shut the fuck up, especially not NA members. c'mon now.

ibmycargetskeyedatameeting

11. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I'd start parking your car at a different spot, sounds to me if this lady has issues if she's fabracating(sp) lies about the meeting.