Long network logon times

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Jan 5, 2006.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have a machine on our domain at work that takes an unexpectantly long time to log on. The machine has been formatted recently, so it should be pretty clean.

It always seems to take a long time when it says applying security settings/loading personal settings or whatever.

Where can I start to troubleshoot?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

make sure your domain controller's address is the first dns entry. this can also happen if your profile is large

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes, the DC's address is the 1st DNS entry.

The profile size (local, btw) was almost 500 megs and I cut it down to about 50, but it didn't really seem to do much.

I cleaned up some of the services and disabled some things that load during startup.

Now I notice that the logon script takes longer than usual to finish loading.

Either way, it still seems like it's taking the same amount of time.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

we cap our profiles at 50 MB and that is pretty big. i'd clean that up if possible

we have slow logins too, but it's a netware environment so that's an nds issue. authentication requires walking the tree all the way to the root for some reason

5. chips

chips ...

One thing that iv used in the past is in group policy enable the wait for network at computer start up and logon. its under admin temp. system then user profiles