long distance "temporary" breakup

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by thrillhouse, Sep 12, 2006.

1. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

so I had to move away (1500 miles) for school and my gf and I decided to stay together while I was away and just sort of wait until we could be with eachother everyday again.

then today we had a pretty long conversation, she is really stressed about a lot of stuff she is going through, and I have even more shit to deal with, and we decided maybe its best if we dont have a long distance relationship to create added woes for us.

she still says that she loves me and that we have a future together, and I still really love her (shes my best friend), but now I just dont know what to think. is it even possible to breakup while I am away and get back together when I get back?

2. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

dont expect to get back together when you get back.

At your age people change QUICK...and if you arent growing together, then you are usually growing apart.

Plus if you do get back together there will always be a little wonder in the back of your mind of the time you were seperated.

Stay friends, but as far as the relationship goes, I would say to try to move on.

3. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

i agree with RedvsBlue, don't live your school life expecting to get back together when you move home. Go out and enjoy it, meet new people, and move one. The friendship can probably be preserved as long as you're both comfortable with each other having relationships with other people.

4. JJM Enterprises

JJM Enterprises New Member

Tough situation, especially 1500 miles away. If it was a shorter distance, maybe you could visit once in awhile and try to keep the spark going. She honestly may just want a break to see who else is out there. If so - do the same, enjoy it - you never know what the future might bring.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Does putting a title on whether or not you are "together" change your feelings?

I dunno.

6. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

She's giving you a reason to initiate a break-up. Me? I'd say that's a big red flag. You're away at school, meeting new people, and she's lonely.

I have always felt that it takes a really, really strong bond to stay together over distance. I've seen a few work, but usually the folks are older/married. If I were you I'd watch her "signals" carefully and get ready for a break up. :(

But if you can get back to visit her every weekend, who knows? Don't give up, just don't get caught off guard either.

7. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

sound advice. this is what im going to do I guess. It really sucks because in addition to being my sexual partner and girlfriend, she really is my best friend. i feel more comfortable around her than anyone else I know, as cliche as it sounds we can talk about ANYTHING without reservations.

8. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. I wish I could stay in a relationship with my ex-girlfriend who is also my best friend.. We're 3200 miles apart (she goes to school in L.A. and I'm in middle of nowhere, Vermont). All I can say is don't limit yourself to her, even if she is your best friend. Best friends are great, don't get me wrong, and I know that this girl is a spectacular person, but there are other girls out there. Introduce yourself, and keep yourself busy. Keep yourself getting busy, too, because no one knows what the future has in store.