lol @ Zaino Detail pwnage :rofl:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by JRock10, Sep 7, 2007.

1. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:wtc: and i thought alot of todd's details. didn't realize he was PS-detailing.

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Everyone over there chops pics which is exactly why I dont post pics there.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I don't do shit but resize my pics. Faking shit FTMFL :ugh:

5. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

read the whole thread.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

all of that wasn't there when i made this. :hs:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

heh, ok so todd pwnt back. i can see that thread getting ugly (well, for autopia).

btw, you come here often? :naughty:

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I have never chopped a pic that I have posted. Not once. I use the image optimizer from www.xat.com to resize and compress the pictures, nothing else. Even when customers send me pics, I always unclick the 'extra color' box because to me, that is cheating.

My problem is trying to adjust the exposure to compensate for the wild constrast I have to put up with. Nearly every driveway and street out here is concrete and shooting black cars on concrete in the full sun means a difference of 4-5 stops in constrast that I can never fully compensate for. That means the background washes out, or if I am shooting a white car, the car itself looks washed out.

As far as Todd's work goes, he does so some pretty good paint correction so I would guess the cars he posts look damn good in person.

Funny though, John Miller pops in to say how good Zaino looks on that paint. Can you say SHILL? That is the kind of Amway enthusiasm BS that gets on my nerves. It is the prep work that Todd put into that car that makes it look good.

9. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

I hate any blind 'sackriding' of products. As someone who likes to try a lot of different stuff, it isn't fair to waste our time with what ultimately amounts to false advertising.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

honestly though, that's really the first "right down the product line" that I've seen him do. I've read many of his C&B's and most of them use other products besides Zaino IIRC..........eh, n/m. he does use a lot of Zaino. and menzerna.

edit: i went back and looked at 3 or 4 of his c&b's. that's how i came to the conclusion.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  11. Scottwax

One time, John Miller actually posted "I can see how much ZAIO helped improve the looks" or words to that effect. Oh yeah? He can actually see that ZAIO was used instead of Prime or Klasse AIO? Yeah. :rolleyes:

12. Paulie Walnuts

I guess I didnt mean everyone I should say most. I really need to learn more about photography. I dont know what you mean when you say you have a difference of 4-5 tops. I have a Nikon d50 but I just use it in automode.

13. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Since we're on the topic of Zaino, I'm beginning to believe that Chemical Guys M-Seal is practically the same thing as Z-2. As you know, I used to use Zaino religiously before coming to this forum. I have since obviously tried a number of products and settled on the M-Seal topped with 50/50 as the ultimate package for a metallic silver.

So I decided, mostly out of laziness, to just try one coat of M Seal with no topper just to see how it looked for me. First, the smell and appearance are very similar. Secondly, the application process is practically identical. The good news with M-Seal is that by the time you're finished applying it, you can start removing it as opposed to the old Z-2 where you'd leave it sit out baking in the sun. I've heard that since the new Z-2 doesn't require the same meticulous waiting.

Anyway, the durability of this stuff is remarkable, similar to Zaino, and similar to Zaino and Klasse, it has a highly reflective mirror shine and it does a great job of removing very minor spidering and scratches.

The difference is that M-Seal comes off a fuckload easier and is a fuckload cheaper.

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

did you ever try werkstatt on your silver? just curious. cause i've seent the CG stuff and it does look amazing.

15. Scottwax

I mean that the difference between the darkest and lightest areas of the picture are 4-5 exposure settings. Sometimes the black car would be an f5 exposure and the background f22. Hard for the camera's automatic exposure to compensate that much between the two so I will underexpose the shot a bit. I have a Nikon N60 35mm camera so it isn't like I have a piece of crap that I am shooting pics with.

Funny thing though, when I had my old Minolta that was fully manual, I was able to just split the difference between the foreground and background exposure more accurately then my Nikon can do automatically.

16. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Yes, and it's a fantastic product. I actually ended up giving the twins to my buddy who just bought a graphite IS350.

50/50 is like Meg's #16 on steroids for what it's worth. Same longevity, a bit more pop and gloss.

17. Paulie Walnuts

Zaino for me never is hard to get off nor does it take long to dry without the ZFX. ZFX is just about extinct.

18. Scottwax

ZFX is a way for Sal to get another $20 and convince you to use 3 times the product (layering Z2/5) at the same time. He is definitely a marketing genius.

19. Paulie Walnuts

You missed the real message in that post

20. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

I haven't bought Zaino in over 5 years so I'm pretty sure it's onto a new formula. My gripe was that if it happened to be a humid day (and we get a lot of those up here in the summer) and you were in a reasonable hurry and tried to remove Z-2 after about an hour of sitting on your ass and waiting, it would be a pain to remove. Overall, the entire process often left a lot to be desired.

21. Scottwax

No, I am agreeing with you that ZFX is a waste of money and not necessary to get good results from Zaino. If ZFX is about extinct as a product, it is probably because Sal is tired of the complaints about having to buy a little bottle of 'magic elixar' and mix products.

22. Paulie Walnuts

Thats my guess as well.

23. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

I used to use Zaino quite a bit before coming to this forum also. I used it way before ZFX even existed, so I don't have any real experience with it. I just waited a little while between coats and it went on really well.

I won't knock Zaino too much because it really does look good, however a car looking good is 95% the amount of work you put into it. With Zaino and all those coats, of course the car will look good. Sal even goes into all the steps the product needs to really bring out the shine.

I don't use Zaino anymore, I have found plenty of other products that work pretty damn well and take 1/2 the effort. Mostly because of Scottwax's recommendations. People still look at my details and they all notice the work that was put in, no matter what product I use.

24. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

:werd:

25. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

it just seems like way too much is needed to get to lsp. once you use z-1 thru 10, then zfx it and pro it, you've done like 90 steps. or i can pick up one or 2 bottles of OPT stuff, and i'm done.