A&P lol off camera lighting...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Apr 28, 2007.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

So a photography guy I know is moving to San......... something in California and he's selling / giving away a lot of his stuff.

When I was at his house I played with his alien bees 1600 flash unit (he's got 4, each with their own pocket wizard) synched to my 30D with a cable. Within 5 shots of farting around with off camera lighting I got these two. (yeah, focus is slightly off, so sue me).

I HAVE to get some off camera lighting gear. I was also quite ammazed at the concept of an optical slave.... I never even knew my 580 would fire another flash just through the light itself.

Tamron 28-75 at ~ 60mm, then 40mm, ISO 100, 2.8 (yeah, 2.8 was too shallow but whatever). Also, didn't feel like resizing. No she was not posing, these were completely random.

EDIT: I decied to resize

EDIT again: WB is off in shot #2, I bounced it off a yellow wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Pure optical slaves are pretty boring in anything but a studio environment. They provide a trigger and nothing else.

If you want to shoot in your basement, go for it.

If you already have a 580ex then you already have a master unit for canons wireless system, which is a lot more flexable.

Buy a 420ex, 430ex, 550ex, 580ex to use as a slave and you will be able to adjust all of its settings from the master unit, or it will run in full ettl and do the boring work for you.

The other advantage is they fit in your camera bag and can go anywhere with you.

Disadvantages:
    not as powerful as real strobes
    a little tricky to line up when outdoors (its still an optical slave, the front of it still needs to be able to 'see' the master unit)

4. joy division

joy division New Member

no, don't do that. Probably the worst idea I've ever heard.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

all full rez really neccessary

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I guess I should clarify in that although the concept of an optical slave is interesting, I clearly see the advantages of infared or even better, wi-fi.

There are a lot of arguements about which is better...... strobes or pocket flashes... Although for a lot of situations pocket flashes are fine, these strobes are literally 10x as powerfull as my 580. The guy owns for of them and uses them to light the entire basketball colluseem here at Georgia tech. He can shoot basketball at like 2.8, iso 200 at shutter synch speed, whereas everybody else is ISO 1600, 2.8 at whatever shutterspeed they can get.

7. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Why not. It's not like it breaks the browser or anything. Smaller ones should load first anyway.

A lot of times people like to see full rez for lens sharpenss etc.... even if this thread isn't specifically about the 28-75.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

dont say wi-fi. its used pretty exclusively for 802.11x

There is no argument, its exactly what i said, if you need power and only shoot in your basement (or dont mind lugging it) get strobes.

If setting strobes manually / having big bulky gear doesnt intrest you, get speedlites. :o

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

those pics look great on my 101" 16500x10500 widescreen monitor :coolugh:

10. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

It's only 8 MP. 2000 x 3000 or so.

11. MrGone

MrGone New Member

and entirely too big :o

12. .