GUN [email protected] homicide charges possible for home invasion victim

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 4, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alberta home invader killed
    Target of botched break-in may face homicide charge
    By KIRSTEN MUNDY AND NADIA MOHARIB, SUN MEDIA
    The Calgary Sun

LANGDON -- A home invasion took a deadly twist yesterday, leaving one of two bandits dead and a suspect in critical condition from serious stab wounds.

And murder charges could be pending against the 35-year-old man renting the acreage home, who, along with his girlfriend, was jarred awake at 3:30 a.m. when the two men burst into the bedroom after forcibly entering the residence through a side door.

Mounties said the man fought off the two assailants, leaving one of them, a 32-year-old man, dead in the bedroom -- an unusual turn of events for police at the scene.

"It doesn't happen very often where an attacker ends up dead," RCMP Cpl. Patty Neely said.

The other would-be robber, a 27-year-old man, fled the house with stab wounds shortly after the invasion went awry.

A suspect was later found by cops at the Strathmore hospital and was taken to a Calgary hospital with critical injuries.

Although they couldn't say whether the bandits were armed when they arrived at the home -- or what types of weapons were used in the ensuing struggle with the man living there -- Mounties said the residence was not randomly hit.

"We do know that the assailants and the victims were known to each other," said Neely.

"This was a specific incident with a specific target in mind."

But, Neely said the reasons behind the botched invasion are still unclear.

"At this point we have no connection to gangs or drugs," she said.

"We have no ties to any criminal activity as of yet."

Police haven't released the cause of the 32-year-old's death and an autopsy is scheduled for today.

While the resident's 24-year-old girlfriend was not hurt, the man suffered injuries while warding off his attackers and was in stable condition. He could also face homicide charges pending the outcome of an RCMP investigation.

Sgt. Patrick Webb said self-defence has not been ruled out.
    :ugh2:

"We're investigating into the circumstances of the whole situation and that will determine whether or not there is a possibility of charges," he said.

Canada's Criminal Code authorizes people to use the amount of force necessary to protect themselves and their property.

However, the law stresses such force should not be used to cause death or grievous bodily harm.
    Yeah the dumbass victim should of turned over his money and let them rape his girlfriend :ugh2:

Meanwhile, residents in the otherwise quiet hamlet 20 km east of Calgary were left rattled by the events.

Lisa Mayer, a mother of three who moved to a nearby acreage just days earlier, said she was shocked by the attack.

"It just kind of scares me," she said. "We used to live in Forest Lawn and hear sirens and HAWCS and stuff, so it was real nice out here for the last few nights."

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Yet another reminded of while I'll never go to canada.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (HTC-8500/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

:canada: almost as bad as the UK

4. Werm

Werm Guest

Horrible... It amazes me how in a lot of other countries defending yourself from home invaders is illegal :ugh:

5. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Makes me wonder if I'll ever pull out a firearm if I'm in a home defense scenario... might as well just bend over, take it from the criminal and then from the cops for being a nice little victim.

6. Werm

Werm Guest

Sad but true... Even survival and self defense, a basic instinct of everything on this planet, including humans, is against the law in some countries :ugh:

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

dude, for your sake, and the sake of those in your home that is unable, get that idea'r out of your head ASAP. You do NOT have to have that in your mindset.

Seriously. Coming from someone who's had a girlfriend raped. Who's had my home invaded while I was there. And who's little brother was shot in the head. I will ALWAYS allow deadly force as my option, should the situation arise because I NEVER want to go through what I went through again. In the end, the courts can not do any worst than what you would have to live through if you don't react.

Seriously, don't let the media go to your head. In the end, protect what you love.

8. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

if i were king anyone you're free to do anything to anyone breaking into your house

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

:rofl: more proof you don't actually own your land, you just rent it from the gov't

you can't stand your ground :rofl:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (HTC-8500/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

in all honesty that's not very realistic either. there should be (and are) limits in terms of keeping someone prisoner and regarding torture.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree if noone was injured in his crime after 48 hours you should have to turn him over to the authorities.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Well, they sure are trying.