Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Surround System

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asdfbunk, May 3, 2008.

1. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Is this (approx $270ish) the cheapest way to get digital 5.1 surround? I can get a $90 5.1 system but it won't be digital and sound from my PS3 will be "matrix' and garbage, so I'm looking for a cheap digital 5.1 alternative.

Any other options?

2. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

no doubt for the money. If you have a big room, it's too underpowered. Either you save up for more money or throw away $200-300

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd: it's friggin awesome for a computer setup.. otherwise :dunno:

I was 95% sure I was gonna buy the 5500 a few years ago.. then heard one in a decent sized room.. figured out there was no way I'd be satisfied.. and ended up spending $500 more than I wanted to spend on a bigger system :o

IMO I'd save up a little more and get a decent HTIB for $400.

Granted the sub won't pound as hard as the logitech.. a home theater will have much more room to upgrade.

IF you do go with the logitech.. make sure you don't get the 5500 with the RCA cables. They're not long enough to do a home theater setup with and it's crappy using extensions for RCA's. I think all the new ones use speaker wire IIRC.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. asdfbunk

It's for a computer desk type. I game in my room at my desk because we don't have an HDTV and i have a 24" monitor. From what I understand it's good for a small gaming area?

5. asdfbunk

Well, I got the 5500, and it's bloody amazing for my small room.

One question though, with optical input, from my PS3, is there anyway to keep the receiver 'ready' instead of snapping to "No Digital Data" every time it's supposed to be completely silent? Only reason I ask is because when the sound finally does come, there's a split second delay and the very first ~half a second is cut off.