Login Script Issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

At work on our domain we have a .bat file run after you login to connect all of our network drives.

On a few random machines and at random times when they login, they keep getting the system error saying that the network path cannot be found, thus not connecting the network drives.

When this happens I can access the server with the shares/drives by IP, but not by name. Manually re-running the login script gives the same errors. Sometimes rebooting will fix it and sometimes it wont.

I was searching google for some info and ended up adding the IP and name of the server to the lmhosts file and then started to work. I did a few reboots and it seemed to work ok. I was just told by one of the users that the PC lost the connections to the drives again, but somehow picked them back up.

WTF is going on here? This is driving me crazy. Although I say it's random it happens most to 2 of our Windows 2000 machines.

The machine most of the shares are on is one of our Windows 2003 DC/File Servers.

So I figure adding the entry to the lmhosts file was a work-around, but there still must be a problem elsewhere?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Logging in too quick? Ie - do you have the same problem if you wait a minute on the logon screen?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you guys running peer-to-peer? Are you using DNS FQDN or WINS?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Same problem...

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

DNS FQDN

I went through some of the DNS stuff yesterday and took out some entries of machines that weren't here anymore. There was a DC taken out of service before I was here and it wasn't demoted, so I removed some of that stuff.

I have one other question though... We have 2 W2K3 DC's and one W2K DC. All of the mapped drives are pretty much on one server (W2K3). I've been noticing that the login script keeps running from a different DC. Is there any way to setup a preferred logon server? Similar to the setpfdc.exe from NT...

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why don't you just use Windows' built-in "reconnect on logon" function for mapped network drives?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

All of the drives are setup in a login script that runs when the user logs on.

I want to keep it that way so if I make a change, I don't have to do so at 50 machines.

The problem that I'm having is connecting the drives during bootup. It can't always connect to the server the drives are on.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Is this all on the same subnet?

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes...

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're using DNS FQDN then the problem is with the DNS entries, or network

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Try mapping the letters to something that isn't a DC and see if you still have the same problem