Logging in as admin??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WaarrEagle, Aug 16, 2004.

1. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

Well I left my computer at college over the summer and a friend of mine has apparently logged in as admin and changed a bunch of shit. I had it so when you turn the computer on you have to click my name (the only name listed) and enter a PW. He said he was able to log in as admin (he wouldn't tell me how) and I want to know how to make it so this can't be done. Anyone have an idea what he did or how I can fix it?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'm assuming XP? Probably done with a linux bootdisk..

3. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

Yes, XP Pro and there was no bootdisk. Another friend was there watching and he said he hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice and a new login came up. You then type in administrator as username and you can somehow log in.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

You probably never changed the Administrator password.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

by entering the correct password ...

if he has physical access to the box he can get in as admin with the linux boot disk, datacomguy said

6. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

What is the admin PW by default? If he then put a PW on admin and I don't know it what do I do?

7. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Just format the machine if it's all fucked up, and change the default password.

8. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

*smacks*

When you first install Windows XP, it ask you to give the Administrator Account a password. Many people are dumb enough to skip this, think that they'll just give it one, once they reboot into windows the first time.

You know that screen, when it ask you to make a user name. This is your SECOND admin account. The first one, is normally hidden; unless you boot into safe mode or use something like Windows Power Toys.

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Agreed. If you didn't set one up, then he won't need to enter one.. and if you set one up but with a lame password such as "password" or "administrator", then of course he can get in..

Either that, linux boot disk, or a program like Cain & Able that can run a scan and report and decrypt user account passwords.

10. yoloo

yoloo hi

yep; that's what you do to get the log-in screen to type in a user name...and if u didnt put an admin password all he did was type in administrator as the user name and hit enter; what a jackass friend

assuming he didnt reset your account and make it something less than an administrator account, u can reset the administrator password on your machine by:

control panel > Performance and maintenance > administrative tools >computer management > expand local users and groups > go to users > right click administrator and choose set password ... it gives u some kinda warning message...read it first before u decide to reset; i've never done it before.

11. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

wow. i didn't know you could do that...i thought i was the only person able to get into my computer; apparently anyone can