Locking up..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Oct 22, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Oct 25, 2001
    I have a problem with my computer locking up but only does it with one particular app, Windows Explorer. my system is not that old Gateway 700GR but past its warranty so ill have to improvise if its something serious. Started doing this about a month ago, when I opened explorer it would freeze up completely. Sometimes explorer would freeze everything else worked alright had to contrl-alt-del to get out of it, after closing it out then start explorer it would freeze again. To fix just restarted the system but the whole system freezing freaks me out a bit, bad hardware comes to mind.

Week ago I formatted my system reinstalled all my windows xp updates and SP2 and my software and its still doing it, not as much but does it when I open a folder that has a lot of files in it displayed as thumbnails. Im a big fan of keeping my system virus/spyware free because of the 50 something apps I have to reinstall afterwards when i format its a chore so I try to keep my system clean as possible.

Any idea whats causing the freeze ups?