GUN Local shooting involving leo's.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, May 10, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I don't know what to make of this yet, way to many details are missing.

CORPUS CHRISTI — What began as a car chase over a traffic violation ended when a police officer shot and killed a man Saturday after he showed a knife, police said.

Officers, who began chasing the man in the 4900 block of Ayers Street, used a Taser on the 28-year-old after he left his white Ford Focus on Port Avenue near Dillon Lane about 6 p.m., Capt. Tim Wilson said.

The Taser didn’t work, Wilson said. The man turned toward officers and displayed a knife, he said. One officer shot the man three times, at least once in the head, said Wilson, who didn’t know where the other two shots hit the man.

The man, who police didn’t identify, was taken to Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial where he was pronounced dead.
    Wilson said crime scene investigators found a folding knife in the grass next to where the shooting occurred.

Witnesses said they didn’t see a knife.

“He was screaming ‘I’ll surrender,’ ” said Marta Espinosa, 24. “Police should not have fired. He got down and was saying he surrendered in Spanish and English.”

Witnesses said the man was using a cell phone as he ran toward a grassy area next to an appliance store on the corner of Dillon Lane. Police cars and officers surrounded him.

Espinosa and Laura Cruz, 21, both saw the man holding only a cell phone, they said separately.

“His other hand was open toward police, him saying, ‘Wait,’ ” Cruz said. “He was talking on a phone and kept telling them he surrendered.”
    Police would not answer other questions, except to say the man’s parents were notified. Wilson said interim Police Chief Mike Walsh would make details available Monday.

Contact Mike Baird at 886-3774 or [email protected]

----------------------

By Elaine Marsilio (Contact)
    Originally published 09:19 p.m., May 12, 2009
    Updated 12:23 a.m., May 13, 2009

CORPUS CHRISTI — A police officer and a man holding a knife were about 10 feet apart when the officer shot the man Saturday, police said.
    Sylvester Villasana, 28, was shot three times about 6 p.m. Saturday by Officer Justin Sanders, 26, after police said he refused to listen to police commands and continued to approach Sanders.

Capt. Todd Green said as a general rule, if someone with a potentially deadly weapon such as a knife is within 21 feet of an officer, the chances of the officer getting injured or feeling threatened becomes greater.

Green said officers are trained to aim for the torso area to stop a threat, adding that an officer may have to fire until the person drops the weapon.

Nueces County Medical Examiner’s Office officials on Tuesday said Villasana’s preliminary cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds. Sanders fired three shots at Villasana, hitting him in the head, chest and leg.

Medical examiner’s officials on Monday also sent samples for testing for alcohol and drugs. Results should be back within four weeks.
    Since the shooting, police have gathered bullets, casings and Taser cartridges from the scene as part of the information that will be given to the District Attorney’s Office, Green said.

Police on Saturday tried to pull the car Villasana was driving over near the Crosstown Expressway/South Padre Island Drive interchange after he was clocked at 92 mph. The pursuit ended near Ayers Street and Port Avenue, police said. Sanders cornered Villasana after he ran to a vacant lot.

Police said Villasana was holding a cell phone up to his left ear and had an open Smith & Wesson folding knife in the other hand. Some witnesses have said they didn’t see a knife.

Sanders first used a Taser on Villasana after police say he refused to surrender, but it didn’t affect him.

As Sanders tried to load a second Taser cartridge, Villasana began approaching.

Sanders then fired the three shots, the only shots fired, police said.

-----------

You guys want to get your troll on go read some of the comments http://www.caller.com/news/2009/may/12/man-10-feet-officer-shooting-police-say/

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I have a feeling this will come down to un-credible witnesses...

How close to the shooting were they?

3. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

wow, a lot of details are needed before anyone can come to a conclusion on this one

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

A guy was shot to death by police the other day about a mile from my house. They claim they told him to drop his gun several times before shooting him, but intead he pointed the gun at them. Turned out it was a pellet gun. Who the fuck doesn't drop a pellet gun?

5. turner_ftw

turner_ftw New Member

This.

My mom was visiting my granparents in NJ a little while ago and was in a traffic accident with a hispanic guy. No insurance, and no license. It wasn't in the best part of NJ either. He was apparently VERY nice and admitted fault, but someone came running up to where they were and said "I don't know man, I think she hit you."

This sounds like it's going to be a latino version of Rodney King or something.

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Suicide by cop

7. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

When a cop tells you to stop, you stop. If you pull a weapon don't expect them to do any favors for you. Stupid Mexican.

8. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Not surprised, cops get away with murder everyday.

9. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Well I see you're biased. Because you know what exactly happened there. :hsugh:

IL+1

10. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Someone who wants to commit suicide by cop. We have had 2 incidents so far this year in Las Vegas, and one in an emergency room in Henderson.

11. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

This guy robbed like 30-40 gas stations. I think he just wanted the money, perhaps to put food on his family.

13. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Then he should steal food?

14. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

the first thing i thought when reading this message was that he wanted to smear his wife and child with ice cream after stealing it from a gas station :rofl:

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Even ignoring if he had a knife; he's talking on a cellphone while cops are pointing guns at him?

That's a special kind of stupid.

16. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

First step in surrendering...actually surrendering.