GUN Local PD might ditch Glock, thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Aug 20, 2009.

1. I got this in an email from someone I know in the department. There was no confidentiality note with this, but I removed the references to the name of the department anyways. It is one of the major departments around where I live. This is interesting, since I'm not aware of any recent changes to the Glocks unless the department is looking at the RTF style ones. Further, I haven't heard any mention of similar problems anywhere else on the internet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was departmental politics more than ligitimate problems. Still, take a look and see what you think.

2. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I remember the first time I heard about the .40 cal Glock having issues with lights, I thought it was complete bullshit.

I'll just stick to the 9mm Glocks. Cheaper to feed anyway.

3. When was that? I think the department is on 2nd Gen Glocks now, I haven't heard about those problems with the 3rd gen guns though. They should just man up and switch to G20s.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think the .40 glock problems are well documented with things like the Indiana state police. Fixed or not? I don't know, glock dodged the problems in the first place. If I was in charge of picking defensive gear for a police department, I would avoid the .40 glock.

IBhate

5. Jesus. I guess I'm out of the loop. :hs:

Still, my recommendation for G20s stands.

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Milwaukee PD is dropping them.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (megingjörd: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I can't remember which department I read had the same problem, but I do remember reading it. I don't remember reading about solutions, either. Is there any documentation on this occuring with Gen 3 models?

8. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

supposedly glock refused to acknowledge the problem. was just reading about it on lightfighter.

9. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Did any of you guys see the lock and load episode with the glock?

They showed some high speed footage and you can see the front part (dust cover? rail area) flop around like crazy.

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (megingjörd: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Was it the G18 footage that's been around forever?

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont know about specific problems with Glocks and lights mounted, but when I got my Surefire X300 and my Streamlight TLR both had pretty plain warnings that if it were being mounted to a Glock to make sure you do significant test firing with it to make sure it functioned properly because both companies had heard complaints about Glocks not functioning when the lights were mounted. They did not specifically say the .40, just Glocks in general.

How is it other manufacturers get their .40s to work without their frames flexing?

12. My G29 with a .40 barrel in it fires just fine with a light attached. I'm sure part of it is due to the much heavier slide the G29 has.

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

It was new footage. R Lee, and the glock girl were shooting it.

And yeah it was a G18

14. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Right because we need cops with nukes on their hips.

15. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

:rofl: fucking 10mm

16. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Interesting

I carry a Glock 22 with an M3 attached light on duty as a Police Officer.

I've carried the same Glock for 5 years now and haven't had an issue yet :x:

17. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I'd prefer 9mm but my Chief thinks they won't go through windshields :rant:

18. What do you carry? The fact is all the standard defensive calibers are good at what they do.

19. What generation are you using? I assume 2nd gen if it's been 5 years.

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I hope you shoot the piss out of it during training several times a year minimum.

This has been a fairly documented issue with the 3rd gen .40's, usually with a light attached, but less commonly even without the light. The most effective remedy has been new mag springs, different followers, and sometimes a recoil spring.

The biggest problem about the issue is that the gun works fine, right up until the moment it doesn't.

21. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

wow...

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

ibM&P40

23. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

i fucking hate that pistol .... mom has one for her carry ... and i hate it.

24. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

but i had not heard of this problem so thanks for posting it ... i almost got a 22 ... then glock came out with the 21SF and i had to get it :o

i think its hilarious that Glock's fix for this was to bind the slide on the frame by weakening the front of the frame and allowing it to flex ... instead of fixing it properly ....

hell, if i was an officer, and glock told me to fix the problem by taking off my light so the frame can flex .... i would ditch their program too, and go with something else.

25. ksrogue

ksrogue Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Sprint MP6900SP)

they could just switch to the 9mm since there's not too much ballistic difference. it would be cheaper to feed and the problem could be solved. or... they could do the better tactical move and use a light in hand instead of the rail mounted light. it wouldn't give the criminals as easy of a target.