GUN Loading 9mm for competition

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Is the extra ~$22 per 1000 for 147gr bullets vs 124gr bullets worth it? I've seen people say that the 147s don't cause the gun to flip as much, giving faster followup shots. I have exactly zero experience with 9mm, so I'm starting from scratch here. I'll be loading for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production, so I only have to meet a 125 PF.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It's a trade off. You can definately load a 147 to "feel" softer, with a slow pushy recoil. I myself prefer a fast snappy recoil as the gun gets back on target faster. In fact the slow pushy recoil makes me feel the gun is cycling in slow motion.

I personally would use 124's or maybe even 115's

3. Thanks. The more I'm reading the more I see that points me towards the lighter bullets too.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah I'm the same way, but that's me. Let me see if I have any 147's left on my bench, and I'll give them to you.

For me, I buy 124's by the cases because that is all I use for my open gun, and I've consolidated down to one weight.

Montana Gold 124 CMJ's all day.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Any of you guys roll you own, in regards to bullets?

I have a buddy who casts his own stuff, and he seems to be doing iight with it. He's claiming single digit ES/SD #'s, and while I find that hard to believe he's not much of a bullshitter. Loading 9mm for under $50 a K sounds intriguing.

6. Damn, thanks! I'll probably order some 124s too. I'm really excited about getting back into USPSA. I should have the 34 in my hands today. Do you know any places locally that have 9mm in stock? I'll call around when places open this morning.

7. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I loaded about 3k of Precision bullets in 115gr and made them pretty snappy. I shot them at the local IPSC match and my times improved slightly, but my accuracy went down.

I think the more "violent" recoil had me anticipating shots more frequently than the more sluggish 147gr stuff. Just needed more dry fire drills and trigger time with the 115gr at that point.

IMO 115gr or 124gr is the way to go.

8. I traded my 29 to Sqwirl for his 34. :)

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup, it's up North by you too.

Call up Sam's Gun's in Everett. When I'm in a pinch, that is where I go for Montana Gold's. They have 9's and .45's in stock. You have to go to the back and load up a brown paper bag and weigh it.

They also stock Dillon gear and it's actually not a bad place for accessories, and their gun prices aren't half bad.

I used to go up there to shoot "action pistols" aka USPSA Outlaw match Friday nights, but they don't do it on a "regular" basis anymore. They have the best Pho restaurant I've been to in the NW a block away.

mmm Phoooooooo

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You guys ever used BayouBullets? They're new to the market but are manufactured by Jerry Miculek's brother Donnie and Jerry (and many others) have been using them with great success.

11. Sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant loaded ammo. :o

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sorry, haven't shopped for loaded ammo in a LONG time. Go to Walmart's website, do a "locate store" tab, and there's your list to call.

Do you need to borrow some Dillon 9mm reloading gear? I'll loan you a toolhead with Dillon Dies set up for 9mm Minor. I doubt I'll use it any time soon, though I'll probably want it back by spring or so, but you should be set up by then.

I'm getting a new (to me) double stack .40 on Saturday. But you can't tell anyone, it's a secret, k? :mamoru:

You will probably never guess, seriously. I'm going "old school". :cool:It's my project Limited race gun I probably won't shoot til next year, lol.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

You'll still need to pick up a 9mm conversion, because I need my plate still. Sam's has it in stock, which is where I got my shit from.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i havent reloaded my own ammo but i much prefer the way factory 115gr and 124gr feels compared to 147gr :dunno: FWIW

15. Sweet, thanks! :bowdown: Are Sam's prices on Dillon stuff decent? Laurel works like 3 minutes away from there, I'll coerce her into stopping by.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

I believe Dillon dealers have "locked" pricing. Meaning, they can not sell/advertise anything more/less the MSRP. So it's the same price as you would order/buy from any Dillon dealer. All of the Dillon Dealers I have seen online and in the store sell their gear for the same price.

17. Nice. I'll definitely go there for stuff then. I've seen all their Dillon stuff, but never really paid attention to the prices on it.

18. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Yeah, leave the 147gr stuff for me to run through my suppressor :big grin:

19. So, is there a compelling reason one way or the other for 124 vs 115 then? I'm thoroughly convinced away from the 147s.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

More of a preference thing. I would go with the 124 because I think it's better on heavy poppers. I would load a 124 to 1100 - 1150 fps so it can take the heavy poppers and texas stars at RnR.

21. sprite

sprite Active Member

I run 147 moly :wavey:

22. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Love 147gr for sd ammo thats about it