Loaded WinXP onto Macbook v.pointer woes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Apr 7, 2006.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So I got WinXP up and running (rather painlessly, I might add), but have ran into a couple small problems. First of all, how do I perform a right-click function? I can't seem to figure that out. Also, Windows recognizes my touchpad as a standard mouse - thus not allowing me to click by touching the pad. Is there any known way to configure the touchpad? I did burn the Apple WinXP drivers and install them after XP loaded. So far as I can tell, the drivers seem to have went in well. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :wavey:

2. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

From reading on Ars, the best solution at the moment is to plug in an external mouse. There might be a proper fix, but that's the only one i've seen so far.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

there is no normal mouse fucntion and there are no keyboard+muse combinations that work...you're in windows now, you got 1 click.

4. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

is it fast?

5. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

control click doesnt work as right click? also, my gf had a dell and configured it to click on the touchpad, so there should be some way to configure it.

6. DjShiznit

Yes, it is very fast. No emulation FTW.

7. DjShiznit

I did try that - no workie. However, I did run across this info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303575

"Does the MacBook Pro trackpad work the same in Windows XP as it does in Mac OS X?

Basic tracking works, but acceleration, scrolling, and right-click support are not available in Windows."

Guess that answers my question. Maybe someone will write a driver that'll take advantage of the trackpad better :x:

8. DjShiznit

I just located a solution to the lack of a 2nd mouse button

http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html

Rebooting to try now...

Edit: Tried the utility, and it works great!

I just expanded the applemou.exe file to my windows folder. Then I created a shortcut of the file. I then executed the shortcut, thus giving myself right-click functionality. I then right-clicked the shortcut, went to properties, and added the "/s" switch to the end of the command line ("c:\windows\applemou.exe /s"). I then copied the shortcut into "c:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder. It now loads automatically, without the startup window, and works without a hitch!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get the touchpad to let you tap-click, and scroll :x:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006