GUN LMT MRP vs. standard upper

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I know they're two different beasts, so I'm not sure if the extra money is worth it in my case. I have the standard complete upper ordered as of right now through the GB. Range shooting, maybe some distance shooting at my Dads house (I have as much room to shoot as I want) and I'll keep it around the house for 'just in case shit'. I already have the LMT lower on order and an ACOG is on the way too. I half want to do it now just so I don't have to worry about upgrading to it later. I went with LMT over some other brands because it was a little better...and the GB helped too.

So, those who knows...is the MRP worth the ~$550 extra?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As cool as the MRP is, for the cost of one I could buy like 2 regular uppers. Add in the cost of a 2nd barrel and you and you can build a whole 2nd rifle including BCG. I'd pass.

3. reman

reman New Member

Not really worth it, only if you want to have a very cool/ non-basic ar.

4. gaspard

gaspard New Member

LMT just lowered the price on the MRP by $200. That makes the CQB about $1100 and the rifle length $1300. That's with a C/L barrel and standard BCG, I think.

With that said, I've had a MRP for a couple years. I have an 18" SS that shoots .5 MOA (this isn't typical - most shoot ~.7) and a 16" C/L that shoots just over 1 MOA. Both barrels are chambered in 5.56. They have been absolutely perfect and I have no complaints. Very accurate and reliable.

I plan to get a 6.8 barrel/BCG soon and there are rumors of an aftermarket .22 conversion that I will jump on in a heart beat. If you don't plan to change calibers, though, the MRP probably isn't your best solution. Something like a LaRue Stealth setup or a Noveske Recce may serve you better. That's my two cents, anyway.

5. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

not worth it for me. But, if you like it, it's your dime. They do look cool

6. chakup

chakup Guest

The advantage is once you factor a rail into a standard upper you're getting close! That and the MRP just looks badass.

I want one for the ability to swap barrels very very easy- shorty 5.56, longer 5.56 and a 6.8.

gaspard- let me know and I can get you pricing on the barrel/bcg