Living with opposite sex v. good idea?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by enfiniti, Nov 20, 2006.

1. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

My roomie is transferring to UM [bastard] and I need a room mate ASAP

Been contacted by some girls who need a place to live. I need the rent money really bad, and soon.

guys seem to not be as proavtive in looking so I have been sending around emails to guys on OSU's list

I talked to my girlfriend about it and she says if i need a roomie to just take what I can get because I shouldnt ruin my credit by paying late because of soemthing stupid.

When I think about it I probably would feel slightly uncomfortable with her living with a random guy I didnt trust or at least know on a first name basis.

Do you think i should prolong and maybe ask my parents for money or just take the first room mate i can find?

2. fray

fray New Member

Definitely don't take the first roommate you find...male or female. Have some standards or something. Living with someone you can't stand or can't trust with your shit sucks. Maybe male or female doesn't matter as much. I find it hard to live with girls, so I enjoy my male roommates (aside from the cleanliness issues) and I'm a girl. So, I think it can work...but maybe go more for common personalities and trust than gender??

3. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

1. Run a credit check.
    2. Get a deposit that is 25% - 50% larger than the rent
    3. Get first and last months rent (2 full months) and pro-rate the second month for the number of days in the first month (flip months 1 and 2 rent payment)
    4. Include all utilities in rent (so jack the rent up $100 - $200)
    5. Have rules. PM me and I can send you the rules I have been using with tenants for the past 15 years.
    6. Profit.

Male or female should not matter. All people are slobs, so expect to clean up after them.

HOWEVER, with that said, you can expect your GF to not be happy. My fiance and I have a female roomate, but she is still jealous and thinks I could cheat on her (we've actually already had several threesomes with her, and she's never here any more) and is very insecure about it. So long as you can mitigate the hassle that will come with it, you'll be fine.

The line to remember when it starts to go bad, BTW, is "Look babe, unless you have absolute PROOF such as photos or a video of me fucking this woman, or you walk in on me, do not EVER accuse me of cheating." It's harsh but lets her know your expectations. Use it carefully.

4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild New Member

I live with a female, its fine as long as you're both easy going. And sometimes you get sneak peaks at vaj....

5. enfiniti

oh by no stetch am I taking the first one. All these people ive talked to are osu students, im not just posting craigslist or random stuff. Ive talked to 4-5 and 3 were women. All seemed interested and i checked them out on OSU find people and they look legit, one is pharmacy other 2 are biology... by no stretch easy majors so likely not partiers. The guys on the other hand look like huge partiers and I am assuming they got kicked out of their oter living situation for being annoying. And I pick up on that after 5 min on the phone.

as for trust and what not, I can only go off of how I read people and the girls seem to be more down to earth at least over the phone, where the guys sound shady and pretty rude.

6. tominos

tominos New Member

go for the girls in that case.

7. enfiniti

i just cant imagine that not being weird though

8. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

take the one in pharmacy, who knows what she has access to...:noes:

I assume that you don't wanna move in with your gf?

9. enfiniti

I wouuld but she has a year long lease in her name and I have a year long lease in my name. Stupid of me to be the only one to sign but oh well. Maybe after my lease is up but I need someone to kick in rent right now

10. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Find a tenant/roommate screening service. If you've never had a roommate, believe me, you will be making a big mistake if you don't.

11. HappyEeyore

HappyEeyore New Member

I guess I've just gotten lucky ... I've had a male roommate for almost 3 years ... at one point, I had 2 ... never had any issues w/ either of them ... their girlfriends were a little wierd about it at first until they realized that I had *no* interest in stealing their men from them ... for me it's actually kind of nice living with guys ... sleep in late and find that my oil had been changed or the lawn mowed ... :)

It's all about finding someone that you get along with that you trust with your stuff and who's nice enough to not drink the last drop of the milk you bought. ;)

My roomie and I have lived together so long that we just take turns now on buying shared food - no sense in having 2 of something ... it all balances out in the end.

Definately set rules - there was a female roommate in the house for a while that was a friend and it got OUT OF HAND (insert random police officers knocking on the door, etc) ... my fault - there weren't any rules - didn't think I needed them since she had been my friend for 8 years ... guess I was wrong.

12. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

Talk to the ppl that are interested in being a roomie. See if they would like to bring in a second and take your lease over. Alot of landlords are willing break leases, especially if you have found dependable replacements.

13. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

well sounds like ur making it weird, so, yes it will be weird

14. foad

foad New Member

:werd: :bowdown:

15. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I own a three bedroom condo. I rent out two of the rooms. I have lived with two girls, a girl and a guy, and two other guys.
    I definately had the best time when I lived with two girls. The place was cleaner (guys are messy), I got better grades, and there was less drama when I lived with girls.

I just had an hour+ sit down with people and went through and interview and q&a with everyone. Then I decided who would move in.