A&P Living in Japan, what camera should I get?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Platypus, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Platypus

Platypus New Member

I've never owned a digital camera before. I've decided to buy one within the week (I need one by then). I'm not really interested in shopping around so I'm going to use a website that lists prices from various shops here. It's generally next day delivery and COD. I've used it before to buy other things and the prices are competitive for Japan. This is the website btw, might be useful for other people living here (the website is in Japanese):
    http://www.kakaku.com/sku/pricemenu/dezikame.htm

Anyway, I'm probably going to order one of the following:

1. Canon PowerShot SD500 (Japanese name: Canon IXY Digital 600)
    cost: 41,475yen ($398)

2. Sony DSC-P150 (the DSC-P200 isn't currently available here, or at least not on that website for some reason)
    cost: 36,750yen ($352)

3. Nikon Coolpix 7900
    cost: 43,396yen ($416)

I did a comparison at one of the websites recommended in this forum ( http://dcresource.com/reviews/compare.php ) but I don't really have a criteria for choosing one camera over the other. I just want the one which will take the best pictures and have the best movie mode.

So camera people that know more than me (I know nothing), please tell me which one you would get if you had to choose.

Thanks.

2. Nick

Nick Guest

I'd go with the Canon A95 if you just want a P&S camera. But if I had to choose one of those three I'd probably choose the Nikon.

3. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Can I ask your reasons for preferring the Nikon over the other two options?

And why would you choose a Canon A95 over the models I listed?

4. Eh.. just another nikon sackrider. :mamoru:

5. Nick

Nick Guest

I threw the Sony out right away because I haven't liked any Sony camera I've used. This one might be an improvement, but I haven't used it so I couldn't say. I would prefer the Nikon over the Canon because I didn't like Canon's previous digital ELPH cameras. I almost always use full auto mode on these types of cameras because I hate their menus. The Canon ELPHs that I've used didn't seem to get the exposure right as often as the Nikons. This can be fixed manually using exposure compensation or manual exposure, but it is a pain, and in my opinion the point of buying a P&S camera is to use it as a P&S camera.

I'd recommend the Canon A95 over any of the cameras on your list because I've used them and loved them. A lot of people consider the A95 to be the best camera in its price range, and I agree. Exposure is good in auto mode and pictures are sharp. Also the 5 mp is more than enough to print great 4x6's, even 5x7's. 7 mp isn't really much of an improvement on 5 mp, and the camera is a lot cheaper (~300).