Living in Germany since 2005 has ruined my view of BMW

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by GiRaff3, Apr 29, 2008.

1. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I used to love BMW. Pretty much everything they have put our since the 80s has looked great to me. That all changed when I moved to Germany though. I have been here since June 2005, and sadly I do not like Bimmer anymore...

BMW is like Ford or Chevy here, they are just a dime a dozen. Everyone drives 80s and 90s BMWs as beaters, they aren't taken care of, and they are cheap in every shape and form possible.

I still love the late 90s 5 Series. I think BMW did a great job with the lines of the car, everything just looks smooth to me. Sad to say I will most likely never buy a BMW in my life because of living here.

It is funny to bounce around the Euro Import area and watch everyone drool about old Bimmers. Here, you can get a 92 5-Series for $1500. Of course, you will spend a bit more for an M, but still, dirt cheap and common as hell :wtc:

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Im guessing military? I thought the same thing after being stationed there...soldiers drive the 318i's like civics here and they've all had like 11ty billion previous owners.

3. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Yes military. When I first hit the ground, I saw a late 80s 3 series that I really liked that cost a little under $3,000. I talked to a few guys who had been there for a while and they laughed at me for even considering. Soon I found out that BMWs are a dime a dozen, have been whored out, and are dirt cheap. :wtc:

4. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

lol yea they're easy to make some money with though. I bought one for like 200 and sold it a week later for 500. Just get those guys ETS'ing or deploying and just want them out of their name and you can buy them for almost nothing.

5. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

you can get a 92 525 here for maybe 500 more than that dude, they're not expensive cars :rofl:

6. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

doesn't make em any worse

7. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

yeah, just means you're spoiled by an abundance of them

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Surprise surprise, BMW is a domestic brand in Germany. Meanwhile, Germans drool over Corvettes.

9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I rather see a bunch of BMWs then fords and chevys. They still are better cars.

10. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Not so much. There are a few muscle enthusiasts, but overall they hate anything that is loud. Current scene seems to be ricing the shit out of tiny econo boxes.

11. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

No, the word is not spoiled, it is ruined. When you see a car that you like, driven by garbage people and treated like shit, it loses the luster that attracted you to it in the first place.

12. deusexaethera

Then it sounds to me like you always valued the car because of the the way it makes the driver look, instead of the car's inherent virtues.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bmw does not have inherient values outside ostentatious vanity and cockery

14. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

you know me so well...

15. deusexaethera

I know what I know of you based on what you say. If I'm getting it wrong, you should be more careful what you say. What you thought was important enough to repeat is, "I don't like BMWs anymore because the people I see driving them aren't obsessed with appearances." So that's what I've got to go on.

16. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

'03 5 series>any other BMW

17. 944turb0

944turb0 New Member

It's no different here in California. Old E30s and E34s are around everywhere. It's more a good thing than bad. Means they last long enough to still be driving.

18. red97gst

red97gst New Member

The best is that lots people will have a 316 or 320 diesel and throw the 325/330etc bodywork and rims on there, with a 15" subwoofers and go big pimpin around the city. Or it will just be a beat up old 3 or 5 driven by the german equivalent of white trash.

Honestly though, the real garbage over there is Skoda. If you have a 6-cylinder 3 series you're probably doing pretty well for yourself. VW is below BMW, yet lots of VW drivers in the states are sandal-wearing kids whose ex-hippie parents bought em the dubber so they'd be cooler than the other kids in corollas and civics. People complain about how unreliable VW is here, yet it doesn't stop Europeans from buying them. Parts and cheap over there and theres tons of mechanics to work on em.

Europeans and Japanese drool over our V8 pushrod cars and "cheap" gas. Go to japan in a '95 Z28 and you'll get way more poon than the guy in the R34 GT-R

19. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

no, i never said any of that, at all.

your interpretation of what i said is one thing, compared to my intended meaning.

20. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

BMW is now played out to me, because people do not give a fuck about them over here. On top of that, there are a million of them, in the shittiest mechanical and cosmetic condition possible.

21. deusexaethera

But why would you value a new, shiny, well-maintained BMW any less just because there are a bunch of old, rusty, run-down BMWs?

Do you see how this doesn't make any sense from a logical standpoint?

22. Havsie

Havsie When I die, bury me inside the Pepsi 1893 store OT Supporter

Wow you're dense...It's because HE THINKS THAT A BMW IS A NICE CAR YET THE GERMANS DONT TREAT THEM NICE WHICH IN TURN MAKES THEM LIKE A SHITTY COROLLA.

23. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me. If you like something a lot, and then constantly see it being misused and not taken care of, it loses its luster. Plain and simple.

I never said ANYTHING about new and shiny. I rarely saw old BMWs on the road compared to here, and they had a certain appeal to them. Now, seeing them daily, having 5 parked in front of my building, that appeal is G O N E.

Stop over analyzing it :mamoru:

24. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

you can also blame military car sales too:o

25. deusexaethera

I am not dense, I understand the conclusion he's reached. What I'm saying is it's a stupid conclusion. OTHER PEOPLE ABUSING THEIR CARS DOES NOT MAKE THAT TYPE OF CAR A PIECE OF SHIT. It makes the people abusing the cars pieces of shit.

This is the same sort of logic that leads people to think that someone who gets their ass kicked by their abusive spouse somehow deserves it.