A&P live music pictars

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by themolsen, Apr 20, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Just put together a modest live music photography portfolio from shots I've taken since 2007 (including one posed shot from a photo session w/ a local duo)
    http://mattjolsen.com/photo/bands/

What do you think?

Bands featured include: Poison, Ratt, Tea Leaf Green, Blues Traveler, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hank Williams Jr., Musiq Soulchild, Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Heroes, Plain White T's, Barlow Girl, Breaking Benjamin, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Something Distant (used one of my photos for an album insert), and more.

I've photographed many, many more groups -- lots of country acts and local groups especially -- but of course I can't include every single in a portfolio.

99% of the shots were done with the 50mm f/1.8 (Nikon)

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Nice set... now you need to get Hank Williams III in there ;)

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I actually showed up to shoot one of his shows here a year or so ago, but there was some miscommunication between Hank's crew, the venue's staff and the newspaper where I was interning.... long story short, I was allowed in for free, but no camera.

4. Drunken Karnie Midget

Wait wait wait... you went to the show to work, but they wouldn't allow the photographer his camera... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

the irony of that is just astounding. course that does screw you over with the newspaper i guess huh?

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I showed up w/ my camera, but the venue insisted on no camera. my supervisor at the paper said she was sorry to me and told me to go enjoy the show anyways :dunno: so i did...AWESOME show

6. looslip

looslip New Member

Wow. Nice photos dude. Looks like you might've used a flash on some?

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Only 1 band I did....most venues/bands don't allow it

8. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

nice job with the lighting. I'd love to see the exif on some of those. There are a couple shows coming up and I'm considering taking my camera for some shot (if allowed), but I've never shot a concert before.

9. looslip

looslip New Member

+1

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

The shots with the best lighting were so because the venue had nice, bright stage lighting.

I usually just shoot on shutter priority mode for 1/100 or 1/125 (1/125 preferably) depending on the movement of the performers...then just let the camera do the rest of the work as far as calculating the aperture. If you're feeling saucy, auto-ISO can be useful if your camera supports it.

No matter what, though, you'll most definitely need a fast lens. Some venues are dark and I wind up shooting ISO800, f/1.8 and 1/80 or 1/100 most of the time. :noes: (Noise on the D50 = bleh) Other venues, like the one where I saw Poison and Ratt, are very bright, and I was able to shoot at ISO400, f/2.8 - as high as f/9 at 1/125+ easily the entire show

If you don't have it, get the 50mm f/1.8 lens....either Canon or Nikon. Both makes are an excellent, cheap, bang-for-your-buck lens that's indespensible if you want to start shooting indoor concerts.

I don't have the shots with me at work, but when I get home tonight I'll pull a couple and give you the EXIF data, plus maybe some discussion on taking the photo successfully.

11. Drunken Karnie Midget

Lucky you. Williams 3 is one of 2 country artists i actually like... the other is Charlie Daniels :mamoru:

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Some EXIF data examples of different shots in different lighting + explanations

- Barlow Girl
    - f/7.1, 1/125, shutter priority, ISO800
    - Great lighting at this show...pretty easy shoot
    [​IMG]

- Lynyrd Skynyrd
    - f/1.8, 1/125, ISO1600
    - I spent some time in PS w/ noise ninja on this one to clean it up. Partly because it was @ ISO1600 on a D50 :o, but also because the exposure was off a bit and had to be brought up in LR, introducing even more noise to the photo. Basically, the crowd was pretty dark and most of the spotlight was on the other side of him.
    [​IMG]

- Forgot the band's name, but they weren't great
    - f/1.8, 1/100, ISO800
    - It was kind of dark at this place, but the singer didn't do much other than wave his arms around, so he was easy to photograph at a slower shutter speed (probably could have gone 1/80 or even 1/60). It's surprisingly sharp considering it was shot wide open.
    [​IMG]

- The Popheads
    - f/7.1, 1/4, ISO800, used a flash and dragged the shutter for the light trail effects.
    - The lighting at this venue was SO dark. Cool colors and all, but just not bright enough for my ancient camera. I really didn't want to shoot at ISO1600 because I knew the shots would be underexposed a bit and extra noisy. But since I was photogging this band as part of an album and concert review I did for them, they let me use flash, so I was able to get a little creative with that. It worked out really well, nonetheless, because the music was pretty trippy and weird.
    [​IMG]

- Hank Jr.
    - f/10, 1/100, ISO400
    - Another show with bright, easy lighting. Although, the bright spot aimed at me confused my camera's meter a bit and left Hank very underexposed. Fixed him in LR and PS, and did some noise removal on him afterwards.
    [​IMG]

- Poison
    - f/3.5, 1/125, ISO400
    - My first concert shoot ever and probably one of my best and favorite. All band members knew how to pose for shots and how to move on stage. Plus, the lighting was superb and colorful.
    [​IMG]

All-in-all, the lighting at concerts can be a huge range of total suck-ass to total kick-ass. Bring a fast lens and prepare to get extra creative if you need to. Make sure you use whichever exposure mode will give you the brightest exposure (without over-exposing). I know some modes underexpose in some cameras, so I avoid those. I DOUBT you'll want to shoot full manual, as the lights and positions of people will be changing much to quickly... you'll miss a lot of shots.

Remember this: You can always fix an under-exposed shot, but you CANNOT fix motion blur. Opt for shutter-priority!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  13. Drunken Karnie Midget

^^^cool shit. I'm going to see Korn next month. Want to bring the 50d, but debating whether or not i should even bother. :sad2: i'm going as a spectator, not in any official capacity. Maybe i'll just bring the cybershot :o