Live in an apartment? Where do you park the bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Diesel Fumes, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I just moved into a new place. I have my own spot to park and I have been parking my car and then my bike right in front of it. Problem is that its a crushed stone parking lot. The bike seems to stand up just fine but I wouldn't mind if it was more secure. Any ideas?

Said bike:

[​IMG]

2. squid

squid braap

I threw mine in a corner :dunno:

they didn't care. there were a bunch of bikes in weird corners that cars couldn't fit in and nobody said anything.

3. Netwit

Netwit Pass the Kerbango

I want your bike :(.

4. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

:hs:

I really do love this bike.

There is a bike rack for locking up bicycles. This thing would almost fit in there :rofl:

I could park it on the little concrete sidewalk thing, but it would probably be in the way of tenants. Its hard to explain, but there is only one long strip of concrete in front of the building. One end leads to the sidewalk along the street, the other end leads to a picnic table. Not really a big complex and nowhere to really hide it or stash it out of the way. I suppose I should ask my landlord about it.

5. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I just park mine where ever there is an open spot and hope its still there in the morning :rofl: I figure thats what insurance is for.

6. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

pick it up and carry it inside

7. 7960

7960 New Member

go to a tenants' meeting and suggest they need a concrete pad for bikes. it wouldn't be that expensive to put in, it would 'clean up' the area of all the stray bikes, it could easily be made with eyes for a security lock.

and if they balk at the idea suggest that they *could* even charge people to use it...maybe $50/year if you want a sticker that gets you a locking spot on the bike pad. If there are 20 bike owners who'd use it then it would pay for itself after 2 years and start turning a profit.

8. squid

squid braap

There were 5 bikes in the complex, mine were two of them, and I moved out. :drool:

9. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

There's a little wedge-shaped spot between a regular parking spot and a curved curb, not enough room for a car, but perfect for my bike.

10. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I keep mine inside the house, inside my living room actually

:bowdown:

If you are on the bottom floor, you could look into that. I'm paranoid of theft, not to mention Pacific NW weather :o

11. jdw

jdw New Member

yeah, I have a small single stall garage and it's tight as hell getting both the bike and my 01 Tahoe in it where I can get both out without moving the other. I don't think I'd even CONSIDER parking the bike outside at an apartment.

12. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

fuck, I got like nowhere to hide it. I talked to the landlord and the best she could suggest is to park it in front of my car in the parking spot. It sort of hides it a bit because there is another car parked next to me. Other spot next to mine belongs to a lady that has no car.

Also, there is very poor lighting in the area. Im not sure if its worth asking my landlord to install some lights in the area.

I have insurance on the bike and would have to pay a $250 deductable for any damage. Plus bike downtime which would likely be a long time. I generally trust people though. But the apartment complex is on the main highway and right across the street from a sleazy bar and late night drunks coming from there are what worry me.

There is room for an additional shed to be constructed on the site and im going to see if my landlord would be open to something like that. Or just a concrete pad with a place to lock it up would be good too.

Im not sure how to approach this option, but in the back alley by the parking stalls are a number of houses with driveways in the back of their houses. If I could hide the bike in their somewhere (with consent of home owners of course), that would be perfect. Perhaps pay them x amount of dollars per month and get them to sign a waver that would state they are not liable for damages.

13. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i have a big ass chain and lock, a generic bike cover and i pin it against my car in my parking stall... it's right outside my apartment and my neighbor has a big ass truck that he pulls close.

i'd prefer a garage, but this will have to do for now.

14. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

15. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I can tell that YOU two are single! My wife would NEVER let me do that! Besides, I have a 24 year old 600 pound cruiser (Honda Magna V65) with an alarm cable, I live in an apartment with a gate that is closed at night, I have a cover over it, and I'm not really worried about it getting stolen. Also, I really doubt I could even fit it through the front door.

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I don't actually keep it there, I just put it there to take a pic :mamoru:

and yeah, it was a PITA to get in there

it lives in my driveway without even a steering lock, I'm not too worried about it getting stolen