SRS Little different...Need advice on how to deal with new roommates/deposit transfers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ia_cox, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

This seemed the likeliest of places for real responses.

Living in a house with five other roommates. The end of the lease is coming up at the end of July and three are leaving, and we're getting three new ones. Since half of the original leaseholders are still staying here, the management company doesn't require an inspection at the end of the lease (I've never rented before but this seems common at least around here.)

So here's the problem. We're just estimating utilities for the rest of the month for the three that are leaving, and next months rent will be paid by the new roommates, so that's all figured out. The question I can't answer is how do we transfer the deposit? Our company requires two months rent as a deposit (which is ~$700 they have from each of us) so it's a considerable amount of change that I'm sure the three that are leaving will want back. We could just have the three new roommates pay the three old ones in full, but then the three old ones won't have to help pay any damages they made this last year. Anyone been in the situation before, and what do you think is a good plan for this?

2. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

is there any damage ? or are we just talking about the normal wear and tear

3. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

That is how I ran it when I had a roommate, the one that left paid the one coming in the deposit. Regarding any cost to repair damages, it was estimated by the building manager. They would be responsible for paying for the repairs.

Do a walk through and anything that may have to be replaced, painted, fixed, etc. Have the new roommates give YOU the 700 bucks, after the walk through and estimates, you subtract that amount from the 700.

4. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

Why should the new roommates have to pay for paint chips and holes in the wall that the previous roommates made?

And the rental company is nuts. I had known this when resigning the lease in December I would have gotten out of it then. Ten bucks to replace a burnt out light bulb they find during the inspection? They're out to screw us over, and I'm sure they will, I just want to make sure the new people are not going to be responsible for the problems from the old ones.

5. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

oh wait, re read your post, this might make a little more sense. Basically I have to get the company involved and come make a walk through.

6. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Yah, the new roommates aren't paying but 700 dollars. The old roommates get what is left after the damages are fixed.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

so do a walk-around and give put a dollar amount on the damage caused by the original roommates. If everything is ok and it's just typical paint chip shit, call it $100 and have the new guys pay all but that, then call it even.

8. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

maybe i'm not understanding this, but more than likely aren't your new roomates going to have to sign a lease also?

so why can't you guys start over with the landlord? i.e., s/he takes a walk through, asses damage, gives you back what you owe and than you pay a new deposit.

9. teo

teo . => ? => !

Get the management company to do an inspection anyway. YOU require it, even if they don't.

10. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

since half of the first year's lease holders are still living here, we all had to sign a new lease, but don't have to have an inspection. In fact, we'd have to pay a fee to have them come look the place over. The management company doesn't give a shit about a situation like this...as long as they get their money at the end of the time we're there they're happy.

We're all still relatively good friends. What would happen if at this time next year the three that have been there both years split half the damages amongst ourselves, and the six that were there only one year split the other half?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

it won't work. right now everyone's going to say ok, sure, fine, good idea............... then in a year, the people who didn't live there for the past year are going to say "they did most of the damage so why should we have to pay?"

I'm telling you, go through and do your own inspection. come up with a dollar figure the existing people can live with......$100, $150......then have them "pay" that and refund the rest of their money. the new people won't have to put in for all of it so they'll be happy, the old people will have already paid so they'll be happy.

12. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

why the hell are you complicating this issue?

13. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

trying to figure out a way not to pay the management more but still be fair with what we do with the deposit.

14. teo

teo . => ? => !

What's the fee? I think you should have it done unless it's exorbitant. At least that way you'll have a clean slate; people leaving won't be billed later and people coming in won't be screwed for existing damage. In fact I probably wouldn't move in unless that had been done.

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Personally, I would request an inspection and an entirely new lease. Tell the management company that, due to the number of people involved and the logistics, that you feel it would be best and fairest if damages (if any) were assessed now, so that the responsible parties could pay, and the newcomers won't be held liable. The current five of you will all get your portion of the deposit back, and then when the newcomers come and you all sign the new lease, you all pay your proper share of the new deposit. That way, everything's fair, everything's square, all the damages get fixed, and no one gets screwed

16. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

screw that, if I was one of the three newcomers, I'd demand a move-in inspection, so that I could be guaranteed I wouldn't be held liable for anything that was damaged before I came.

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

just inspect it yourself, replace all burnt out lightbulbs, etc. Make it spic and span, and then get the inspection, so the dollar figure is a relatively fair one.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

fuck that.

if I was one of the ones moving in, I'd want that inspection dollar figure to be as high as possible!!

:rofl:

19. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

not if it becomes a brand new lease anyways :dunno: If I was moving in, I'd insist on it.