MIL Little brother is doing delayed entry to the Marines, got a few q's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TheProwler, Jun 28, 2008.

1. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

So my little brother (he's 17) told our family a month or two ago that he'd really been thinking about joining the Marines, and he's just now joined their delayed entry program. He says they're going to let him do infantry, which is what he wants. Are they actually going to let him? or are they just making a promise they may or may not keep? He scored a 95 on the ASVAB, I believe, if that makes any difference.

what kinds of options does he have for college money?

what kind of salary is he going to get?

anything I should tell him?

2. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

tell him to go in to another career field.. 95 opens you up to just about everything.

3. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

95 on the asvab he could have almost any job don't do infantry unless he wants to be a cop or in law enforcement. as for college he will pay into the GI bill for the first year and he gets 80k for college after he gets out. his salary is going to be shit but it will help with other things in life

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

are they gonna give him infantry....im pretty sure if you want it, its yours

College options, well the GI Bill is about to be free....so he will have that

E-1 pay is 1300 a month, E-2 is 1500 a month

5. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

That maybe the base pay that they get a month but they will be pocketing much less then that.

6. EYOB

EYOB Guest

7. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

o yea after taxes it will be very little

8. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

On active duty he will have tuition assistance too. My SSgt did tuition assistance for 5 years, never paid for his bachelors. All funded by DoD. Now he is in MECEP and getting his commission. Once off of active duty, the GI Bill gives you 80k plus a housing and food stipend.

9. usmcdevil

infantry is not always open fuck being groundside go air-wing

10. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

Remeber the MGI Bill just changed too and it is fucking SICK. Everybody should check it out.

11. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

let him do work

12. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I came in as an E1, and am an E3 now. No shit, the entire time he is an E1 (9 months if it's the same rotation as Navy) he will pocket about $900 a month after taxes.

Hope he doesn't have any bills. People don't join the military for money.

13. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

when the fuck did the GI Bill start giving 80k?

Mine is like 36 with the kicker...

14. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

I don't know but if you had the college fund in your contract it would've increased the benefits to just a little over 2k/month x 36 months =72k. I believe that once the new GI BILL passes, that it is suppose to increase the benefits to anybody who served post September 11th to 3k/month.

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

the new one will give 90 if i remember right, and you dont even have to put into it

16. J

J Active Member

Has he looked into any other options besides infantry? I know a lot of young guys that think the Marines are nothing but infantry and enlist looking for glory as a grunt.

17. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

When is he planning on shipping out?

18. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

About a year from now. He still has to finish his senior year of high school.

He rattled off a bunch of his other options - like tanks, artillery, armored vehicles - and said that he really wanted infantry. I do think he's looking for glory.

He's got no bills. He'd probably be able to save while he was in the Marines.

19. usmcdevil

he can go intelligence or cryptological linguist he can do alot of shit with that 95 dont waste it on infantry

20. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

I'll suggest it, but while he's smart, he hasn't been applying himself in school for a while now. I get the idea that he wants to use more brawn less brain for a while, and once he gets that out of his system, he'll go back to college.

However, if it's something cool, like code breaking (that's what a cryptological linguist does, right?), then maybe he'd be interested. How can he or I find out what other options he might have?

21. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I have held two MOS's now, and if he's looking to get to experience everything the Corps has to offer tell him to sign as a Combat Photographer or Videographer. We get to go cover everybody. I have gone out with Recon, flown my ass off in everything the Corps owns, covered wild fires out here in Cali and got to walk up to the damn thing.

My first enlistment I was a Harrier mech, and it sucked. I wouldnt do it again, but I feel the better for having done it. I had a lot of great times all over the world and met a lot of people. The same can be said for infantry, but when I got out the first time I got a job with Embraer working on airliners whereas when an infantryman gets out you are facing work as an LEO or security if you dont take advantage of the educational opportunites.

22. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

I certainly didn't waste my 95 on the infantry, Smart Grunts FTW

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

There are plenty of smart people in infantry. When I first took the ASVAB, I got a 98 and I wanted to go infantry. My father would not sign the papers if I went infantry. I guess I also wanted some glory and blow some shit up. In a way I thank my pops for not signing right away. I ended up doing avionics on KC-130's for my first MOS. Now I am Aircrew and loving it. All this considering I never graduated high school and I didn't get my GED until 2 1/2 years into my first enlistment while I was in Japan.

My brother did pretty good in school and he ended up doing infantry. He just Graduated this last December from the Art Institute of California.

So don't believe the stereotypes that all grunts or Marines in general are knuckle draggers.

24. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Grunts are far from "knuckle draggers" as you put it. They are by far the most intelligent individuals I have encountered in the military. It is an undue stereotype. But, job options are seriously limited when it comes time to part ways with the military. Your success post military is solely dependent upon you milking the benefits while you are on active duty. Take all the free classes you can while you can!

25. usmcdevil

im sorry grunts are some of the dumbest people in the corp not all but most.