Lispers...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phrozenlikwid, Jun 20, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So I'm taking a class this semester that is a survery of various programming languages. Not really what I was expecting, as most of the stuff we are going over is old, outdated, and irrelevant; but there are a couple gems here and there.

Our first project is all about Lisp. Specifically, Common Lisp. Right now I'm working on implementing Qucksort and Radix Sort in lisp, which hasn't exactly been easy for me.

I find that thinking in Lisp terms is somewhat difficult, as it is such a massive paradigm shift from what I'm used to (C based languages). That being said, Lisp is wild, and it seems immensly powerful. Looking at some code on the net, the ability to do so much with so little code is intriguing to me.

I recall someone on here studying some Lisp (Peyomp maybe?), and was wondering if any other have any experience with it. Thoughts, comments? Is/has anyone used this in a professional environment?

2. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

Yeah, typically that course isn't designed to teach you "how to program" but to teach the various aspects that are considered in the creating a language and to expose you to the different types of constructs out there. Our class taught a logic language (Prolog) a functional language (ML) and an object-oriented language (Java).

Lisp is a pain. It is used quite a bit in the artificial intelligence community. I know a lot of people that feel the same way about Lisp. Theoretically, it is pretty cool though. It is definitely used though, but whether or not you will use it again depends on your field.