LISP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Lately I've been thinking about learning LISP. I code Perl/JS/HTML (You know, I can't even remember XHTML? I have to look it up like 5 times a day. I want t put that on my resume: unable to remember basic HTML, web developer that can't work without w3schools.com)/Java and very heavy on the SQL all day (or more often, all night) and I play with *nix/gnu shit to get my work done.

But... lately its all blending together. Not that I'm mister expert of everything, but I haven't found or used or created anything "new" and "exciting" in my code in a long time. You know, like maybe the first time you used recursion. One of those AH HA cool moments where you are impressed with the elegance of your code.

I am not impressed with the elegance of my code. Its readable, it gets the job done, its reasonably efficient. It is not elegant.

LISP seems elegant. People say it makes you a better programmer.

Someone pep me up to learn LISP, plz.

2. Kelex

Kelex New Member

People still use LISP?
    That's like older than Cobol and Assembly Language right?

3. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Get familiar with Paul Graham and his essays on Lisp: http://www.paulgraham.com/articles.html (author of On Lisp and ANSI Common Lisp). Also, get comfortable with parentheses. :mamoru:

4. NoLiving

NoLiving New Member

LISP is nice for learning the advantages of purely functional programming, how to use tail recursion etc, as is Haskel or ML.

In my opinion the single best paradigm to improve your coding is using command-query separation; all methods that return values should be referentially transparent, i.e. they should not produce abstract side effects.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Tis Graham that hath inspired me.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Aye, this is what I hear.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

[132]> mylist
    ((BUSH BROCCOLI) (NIXON WATERGATE) (LETTERMAN (VIEWER MAIL)) (YOU ARE NO JACK KENNEDY) (AND PLEASE) (SCORSESE (ROBERT DENIRO)))

(append (cons (first (rest (rest (first(rest (rest (rest mylist))))))) (rest (first mylist))) (rest (first (rest (rest (rest (rest mylist)))))))

(NO BROCCOLI PLEASE)

Holy fuck, this is nuts. I'm working my way through the tutorial at: http://mypage.iu.edu/~colallen/lp/ before proceeding to a book.

I figure I've got to start doing different kinds of programming or I'm going to burn out.

8. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

I learned LISP last year, it's not very fun at all, but I guess it has helped me a little bit since its so ass-backward relative to the stuff I write every day :o

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I find it fun so far. But I'm on chapter 1 :)