Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CruD, Feb 14, 2003.

1. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

We just got our new dell in today and it doesnt come with a preinstalled OS, so im installing linux 8.0 .

Whenever i try to install , part way through , it stops. And not at the same spot each time either. Sometimes itll do it on disk one, sometimes on disk two.... Any ideas?

2. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

3. CruD

Fark, i dont want to have to download it again and i think im going to have ot because i dont have hte MD5SUM that i downloaded with it and i dont remember which redhat FTP i downloaded from. if there was a problem with one of the disks, wouldn't it either:

a) tell me when i do the media test in the beginning of the install
    or
    b) stop at the same place everytime? it doesnt always stop on the same disk.

4. CruD

Okay i redownloaded the MD5SUM from the site i downloaded the ISO's from and i checked the md5sum and all of the got the greenlight...

5. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

w3rd now it should install with no probs hopefully

6. CruD

it did. Now.. question..
    (i'm posting from RH8.0 hehe)

I got the internet working , but how do i configure apache and php and mysql and all that? Doesnt it come with it?

Also , how would i go about allowing the apache server to be accessed by outside connections. We have a linksys router. I connect at home on my windows computer to our VPN, dunno if that matters or not.

Basically, one of our clients is hosting their site in house and made us buy a linux box to develop their website on.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you installed apache et al during installation, then you should be able to configure them through linuxconf. If not, you'll need to download them or install them from the CD, and then configure them.

8. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

your also gonna ahve to setup port forwarding to the computer that has the webserver on it

9. CruD

which port? I already have like port 80 and 1723 forwarded to another computer.

10. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

your gonna have to forward port 80 to the server and if you want SSH acsess or ftp 21 and 22 are gonna needed to be forwarded there as well

11. oasis

oasis Guest

swap drive for red hat 8.0?

hey guys, since my question is related i hope you don't mind me asking it here...

do i need to create a swap drive when installing red hat 8.0?

i'm currently running xp, and i have a small 6gb partition that i want to install linux onto, but i heard i need an additional 100mb partition for a swap drive, is this true? can i repartition without erasing everything?

TIA

12. Penguin Man

If you already have a second partition for Linux to go on, when you go to install Linux it should have a partitioning tool in the installer, with which you can delete your current 6GB partition (the Linux one) and then create a 5.9GB one for Linux and a 100MB swap partition (or bigger if you like, mine's a gig).

13. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

your swap partition at least should double the amount of ram installed in the computer

example if you have 512 mb ram your swap should be at least 1024 mb

14. CruD

okay if i go onto the linux box and type http://localhost/ , i get the default apache page. but if i go onto my local PC and type the local IP for the linux box , it doesnt work.... what should i check/do?

15. Penguin Man

Make sure that your Apache is running on port 80, and that /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow are setup so that other machines can access the server. Also, check whether you can get to the default Apache page from the box itself using it's IP (IE, I would go http://192.168.1.3).

16. CruD

Turns out it was my firewall and it wasnt allowing connections to port 80.

<--- dumbass