Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DynamiteHaxor, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

Kubuntu / Ubuntu or Fedora Core 5 (a kid in my Cisco class had Ubuntu on his laptop today)? I want a beginner one which I can get used to Linux on, be able to run enough apps and one that is well known so I can find help if I need it.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ubuntu. Avoid Fedora.

3. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

I plan on installing Linux on some cheepo 60GB HDD or something that I pick up. I've never used Linux before, any guides or anything you can link to me about it all? How will I get NIC drivers once I install Ubuntu? Does it come with any drivers? How many MB / GB is Ubuntu? Download it on Windows, burn ISO to disc, boot from disc...install. Learnify me.

4. skelm

skelm New Member

Ubuntu.. works very well on laptops too

5. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

I'm making a Live CD of Ubuntu right now so I can test it out. I'll go pick up a HDD tonight.

6. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

Just ran it off the Live CD...it was pretty cool, came with all the tools you need pre-installed (music player, Firefox, office tools, etc.).

Can you install World of Warcraft on it? :)

7. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

After an hour Google-ing and reading I've found that you CAN run WoW using WINE but it is a true bitch to get it running well if at all.

8. wtfmate

wtfmate OT Resident mafia insider

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything :o

I am actually planning on migrating my parents into linux, fedora was my choice, any reason why you think we should avoid fedora?

I man, if I had it my way I'd just put slackware on their system but I dont have a whole day setting it all up for them.

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Fedora isn't really any more complicated to get set up IF everything detects and installs correctly. So far, Ubuntu has been flawless for me. Hardware detection is phenomenal (although I did get :Owned: for a little while because of an odd problem) and it uses apt-get and Synaptic as package managers instead of RPM.
    Ubuntu 5.10 is the best yet. Debian based FTW.

You shouldn't need any extra drivers once you install.

You burn the ISO to disc, reboot the machine with the install disc and let it run. You'll need to do a few things like set the Root PW as well as choose user names and PWs. Its no more difficult to install than Windows.

10. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Fedora is not more difficult then Ubuntu, I've running Fedora for 6 months without no problem and on the wireless network.... Both are perfect platforms to start linux on.

11. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

I REALLY liked my first experience with Linux, even running off the CD it was fairly quick...nearly comparable to my Windows install.

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

We installed Ubuntu on my GF's new HP lappy last weekend. Right out of the box, it recognized and automatically configured the volume control, mute, music player, and DVD player buttons on her keyboard. I was super fucking impressed with that, I figured I'd have to configure those manually.

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm planning on installing ubuntu tomorrow. i'd like to use that computer as a file storage server.
    i see that i can access the microsoft network easily with it (i check out the live cd)
    how would i go about making a folder sharable on the server so that i can drop files in it from my windows machines?

14. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You'll need to install Samba.
    There is a step by step guide at www.ubuntuguide.org
    Its for 5.04, but its still current.

The only complaint I've got about networking with Windows is that I have to x-fer whatever media files (music, vids, etc) from the Windows box to the linux box. It won't play them over the network.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I ran redhat/fedora for 10 years. Then I switched to Debian/Unbuntu. The focus of Ubuntu is for people like your parents. The focus of Fedora is not. Thats the difference, and it manifests itself in 100 ways.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You will NOT want to configure Samba manually. You should download it using apt-get or Synaptix, and install webmin manually (as the apt-get/synaptix install is old and has no plugins). Then you can just go to https://localhost:10000 from your web browser and easily add shares using their web GUI. Google for webmin, download the source, and then build it manually. There will be a README or INSTALL file with it, but basically you will tar -xvzf webmin_file_name.tgz or .tar.gz and then cd to that directory and execute:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install (and then enter your password)
    sudo /etc/init.d/webmin start

And then webmin will be running. There are some files in /etc/webmin/ you may have to add, and there is a tutorial out there somewhere. If you have trouble, post here and I'll help you through it. I can post my configs I guess.

The webmin interface is self explanatory.

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i gave up on using ubuntu on my pentium 2, 233 mhz computer with 96mb ram. it took about 5 mins to start up and then ran like crap.

no big deal

18. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Chances are it was Gnome that was the problem there. Gnome is nice on fast machines, but on something slow it's almost impossible to use. Try a lightweight WM like XFCE or OpenBox and it should work better. Check out the Xubuntu project.

19. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

I have ubuntu dual booted with xp on ym laptop.. wireless wont work nor the sound. if it worked id be all over it.

20. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

try goin with the newest version (not hoary headgehog) :hs:

21. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

What kind of laptop?

More specifically, what audio chipset and wireless chipset?