Linux Windows Dual boot Q.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by butaro, Aug 19, 2005.

1. butaro

butaro New Member

Im looking for a way to have a fully functional linux environnment while also having a normal windows environment. I've tried dual booting before but i have always come across problems. I've also tried the Virtual Desktop(something like that) program and that worked a little well but was a inconvienient and not very pretty.
    My laptop has a 20 gig hard drive and i dont mind making a couple partitions (Linux,Windows,Shared) im just looking for some advice on how to avoid dual booting problems, and what builds of linux are friendly and easy to dual boot.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Definately install windows first, let it take up the whole drive for it's partition, and then install linux. Most distro's are smart and will resize the partition and create it's own. Also, they will install a boot manager (usually GRUB or LILO) and let you choose between windows and linux.

3. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The most common way that I dual boot is the way described: windows/linux/shared partitions. You'll likely want the shared part to be FAT32 so both have full read/write capability. Yes, you MUST install windows first. If you install it second, it will overwrite the linux boot info in your mbr, giving you no option other than itself. Linux is more of a team player though, and will recognized a pre-existing windows install, giving you the option for either. SLED is correct in many instances. Many linux distros will allow you to resize the windows partition (even if it's ntfs). I consider this an extra and unnecessary step though. I prefer to get my partitioning out of the way ahead of time, either by making them in windows during install or making them with knoppix. In any case, I prefer to get my partitions out of the way as the first thing I do rather than going back and resizing later.

20GB seems awfully small to be dividing up imo, but then I am somewhat a storage-whore. Anyway, I always allocate the largest partition to the shared space. On yours, I'd go with something like 5/5/10.

If you run windows programs in WINE, yeah it won't look "pretty". It's emulating win98, after all. I'm personally just happy if it works. As for distros, well as you know, there are tons of them. But (k)ubuntu seems to be quite popular these days, and I can see why. It's really fast/responsive/snappy as far as most distros go (fedora is absolutely sluggish by comparision), I've never had any dual-booting problems, it has pretty good hardware detection, and lots of software available.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

have you considered vmware? how much RAM do you have?

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

he's on a laptop, bet he don't have more than 256mb on it

besides that, vram is gonna suck too, making anything in VMWare realy slow

ftw, post #2

6. butaro

butaro New Member

I have 256 mb ram and 1.8 gig processor on this, ive used vmware before but found it slow sometimes

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

*bump*ing my oldest post cuz i'm bored

move along, move along