Linux/WIndows box

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kingfisher, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

OKay, I googled and read up on this (not enough?) and I want to install linux on my laptop and was hoping you guys could guide me in the right direction. I'm basically a CS major so recommend a proper linux distro for me... Also what is the first step to going about installing this. I want a dual boot setup where I have windows as well as linux and I can choose which OS to load at bootup, so far it looks like a bitch to install [partitioning, etc...] Any useful links and or step by step guides would be really really helpful. I basically want to learn as much as I can about linux and am fascinated at this point. ANyways any help is much appreciated. Thanks :bigthumb:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Install Ubuntu and it'll do all the partitioning and stuff for you. It doesn't come stock with all the tools (compilers, editors, etc) that you'll want, but they're easy to install (apt-get install gcc). Ubuntu is nice because it makes the initial setup as easy as possible, but (like any distro) lets you do whatever you want with it once it's installed. So, you can have it safely installed and dual-booting, then start fucking around and figuring things out.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I agree. I did this yesterday, tried Ubuntu for the first time for development of a database driven application. You'll have to use apt-get to install everything from make to gcc, but its worth it. Besides, apt-get is so easy to use... as is the GUI Synaptic Package Manager.

4. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Step #1: Back up EVERYTHING.
    Step #2: Defrag and defrag until you have a nice clear chunk of hard drive.
    Step #3: Choose a *nix distro and boot it. Most modern distros will walk you through the partitioning. It's usually fairly painless.

If you're just looking for a nice desktop environment to play around in, Ubuntu is fairly nice, and comes with a fairly robust list of desktop aps. You can also add a lot of developper aps.

If you just want to get familiar with the environment without risking your hard drive, you can also try a "Live Eval" distro, which runs off a CD without doing anything at all to your hard drive. Knoppix is a good live eval, and Ubuntu offers a live eval as well.

5. Kingfisher

I'm sorry I don't think I understand the "apt-get install gcc" part of it. Ubuntu comes with an autoloader I suppose to let you choose the OS correct?

6. Kingfisher

Awesome!! I found out Ubuntu ships free cds of the LIve CD and Install cd at no cost... Once I get it Ill come back to you guys for additional help. so far ubuntu looks good.. I hope it will suit me being a community college cs major.

7. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

LoL

Just Torrent download the ISO's of the CDs. The last time I tried ordering the CDs they got hung up in customs for months.

8. Kingfisher

Hmm... any other recommendations on the various distros available??? I basically want everything working [wireless, music, dvds, cd burning, word processing, instant messaging, etc..] like how it works on my windows, but in linux. The most preferable would be one that handles dual-booting as well as come with partitioning as part of the install.

edit: I thought I'd input my laptop information because apparently some distros don't recognize some hardware on certain comps. I have a Gateway m520XL laptop with xp sp2. recommend me a suitable distro!!! thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  9. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Still recommend Ubuntu. It's just way faster to download the CD image files and burn them.

It'll take a little work to get it to do all the multimedia stuff, but I'm sure there's a person or two around here that'll walk you through it.

10. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Ubuntu

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ubuntu is the distro most likely to give you what you seek. It is the most suitable.

Just download the CD.

12. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

+1 for ubuntu

13. Kingfisher

Downloading.....................

btw, I have ati 9700 vid card and the people @ ubuntu seem to be having performance issues with it

14. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Although I really like Ubuntu, and have been using it for a while now there are a few other distros out there for you to try that should be recommended.

Suse: Very polished and has a really nice control center (Yast)
    Debian: What Ubuntu is based off of, and maybe my favorite distro
    Gentoo: Take a weekend where you're not doing anything and give this an install. It will MAKE you learn.

ATI cards will give you problems, one of the best ways to avoid them is to just use the files that ati makes available since it's much more upto date. I believe their installer even lists Ubuntu as one of the distros.:eek3:

15. Kingfisher

Alright!!!!!! I just got done downloading and running on my laptop the Ubunto live cd [breezy badger] which worked like it said. However the graphics are ok and live-with-able [using ati]. The wireless is another story as is the printer and sound.
    For my wireless I believe I need to navigate around it some more; but I am not able to figure out what info to put where. It shows packets are beign sent and received but I am not able to surf the web. I have wep encryption on my wireless setup so I dont know how to go about doing this, [do I need to reinstall my router drivers in the linux os?]

Also the printer my laptop uses is actually connected to my brothers computer in the next room.. is it just a matter of typing the printer name and computer name in the fields? Or is it more complex than this.

My sound is not working at all. Not even the wav files that came with ubunto will play and I even turned up the volume to maximum, any ideas??? I'm using the standard sound card that came with my laptop. [Under 'sound, video and game controllers' in device manager in xp sp2, I have listed in order: audio codecs, conexant ac-link audio, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, and video codecs.]

I am really excited and can't wait to install it permanently on my system, however I want to make sure *everything* will be workable before I do so. thanks again everyone...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  16. Kingfisher

anyone????? why wont my sound, wirelesss or printers work?

17. eof

eof New Member

VMware FTW... Install in a virtual environment and you can run it while windows is running. If you have a decent amount of memory it will be smooth as silk.

18. peerk

peerk New Member

For the wireless:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WiFiHowto

For the shared printer:
    I believe you will need Samba. I don't use Ubuntu so I don't know if it is already installed on your system.

Sound:
    Try different drivers.

The thing about Linux is that it still sometimes takes a lot of effort to get things working. You have to be willing to hit up the search engines when things don't work.

19. Kingfisher

Okay, I'm reading through peerk's wifi how-to link. But let me first layout some problems I'm facing so that it can marinate in here for a while and I'll check back in and see if somethign can help me.

My wireless woes: BCM4306 is listed ubuntu's Device Manager but not in Network Settings. All that is available in Network Settigns are Ethernet Connection and Modem connection.

No sound: WHen I play a sound with Volume Meter running, it shows some sound activity however I hear nothing. In Sound Preferences the default sound card is Intel 82801db ICH-4(Alsa Mixer). However in Volume Control under Change Device I see the above Intel card and also Conexant id30 (OSS Mixer). I followed soem advice on some message boards of unmuting every setting in volume control etc, but to no help.

No Shared Printer yet: FOllowing peerk's advice I think I might need Samba, but not sure. Although I'm pretty confident I need my internet up so that I can use the printer on my brother's computer.

From the wifi-how-to: Click on (System)->(Administration)->(Networking) and see if your wireless network card is listed. If it isn't you've got a problem. (Somebody needs to describe what to do next).

Looks like I've got a problem. The author doesn't describe what to do next. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  20. Kingfisher

I can't even install ndiswrapper, I don't have an internet connection... Simply plugging in the cat5 in the port and into the modem isn't giving me a connection... any ideas?