Linux tutorials

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Jul 9, 2003.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

what are some of the best linux tutorials you have found? (especially for redhat etc) can be anything from setting up firewall to NAT to apache server etc

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

3. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

Linux based OSs are really bad. Desktop is better done with windows and servers are better done with BSD. Learn FreeBSD or something; even though Linux and BSDs are closely related.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i had an awesome guide on FreeBSD to turn it into a router on a 486dx2, with 32mb ram, 540 mb hdd.

leme search around for it. it was almost to the T. put in each command, edit each file (gave line and position) to what u want it to be (gave examples). it was da shit

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ur wrong.

linux can run as a server or desktop. like gentoo for example, it can be configured as either. same with rh. its all in how u set it up.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

If linux is so bad, explain to me why the software giant Oracle is fully endorsing the OS, and making it part of it's "unbreakable" solutions.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Linux just plain rocks on the desktop if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, no, you won't have a very good experience.

9. j0ntar

j0ntar Guest

www.tldp.org < has tutorials on just about everything, howtos and small online books.

[email protected] he prolly read that somewhere and just spit it back out. Linux based OS's are the future of servers and desktops. You dont see IBM or Sun embracing BSD do you? You dont see server farms offering many BSD boxes do you?

BSD=more stable yet not as robust
    and
    KDE > explorer.

10. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

Yes, Linux can be configured as both, it also does a worse job at both. These ideas are not mutually exclusive. It takes a knowlegable and dedicated person to use and set up most distros so most business and home users stick to Windows for desktop use.

You do know that before this, Novell ran on top of DOS right?

No
    No
    IBM is embracing Linux because OS/2 failed. Sun has Solaris, not Linux
    Actually I do. In fact the best servers in the world with the highest uptimes are all BSD servers according to NetCraft. http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html If you actually look at that page, not a single linux server even makes the top 50.

Theres a difference?

Maybe, but there's far more to being a usable desktop OS than the shell.

I don't think *I* was the one that is spitting things out.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Are you an ISP or hosting admin? Because all of your proof are metrics from hosting sites. Obviously *BSD is the most popular hosting OS out there, giving a site like netcraft as proof, that shows uptime of hosting sites, gives a biased POV.

Since you seem to be BSD advocate, can you get me some JNI drivers for my 6460? Or some for my Emulex LP9000. Oh wait, there aren't any. But why is this important? Nowadays, in enterprise environments ALL storage are consolidated onto SAN's or NAS'. Most require some form of HBA for connectivity. These companies are shipping HBA drivers for windows, Solaris, Linux, Tru64, AIX, SCO, HP-UX... But no FreeBSD or OpenBSD. The market for BSD isn't there yet. Okay, how many BSD clusters are there? Compared to Sun HA clusters, or TruClusters, or even Beowulf clusters? Not many if any. Or can you tell me how to setup a BSD client in my Legato Networker Backup environment? You can't. Does this mean that BSD is a bad OS? Hell no. Using this logic states that IRIX is also bad, which is also retarded. What's the point of this is this shows that BSD isn't even in the SAN forefront yet or a major cluster competitor or not supported by some "server" software? Some OS' are good or supported for some tasks, while not for others. Simple as that.

Stating an absolute statement that XXX is bad and using biased metrics to skew your POV doesn't prove anything. That just shows *BSD is a good powerful hosting OS. Nobody will deny that.

IBM has AIX, so what's your point? OS/2 has nothing to do with its decision on backing up Linux, OS/2 died a long long time ago. Sun, who has Solaris, is most certainly embracing Linux, HP/Compaq is embracing Linux even though they have HP-UX and Tru64. These companies are embracing Linux because it is cheap. They are shipping entry-level servers under the x86, sparc, alpha hardware with linux. Can BSD do that? Nope.

I am certainly not saying that Linux is the best because it has support. Linux is definitely not the "best", nowhere near that, neither is BSD. I am very sketchy on my we use Linux boxes for and they certainly are not used for my critical components. But I use them where they seem fit. Just like my other Solaris, Tru64, and BSD boxes.

Linux is popular because of the market. Because it's cheap, it's gaining market support and software/hardware support. Doesn't mean that it's absolutely better or worse than BSD or any other OS. Don't be so obtuse.

-crontab -l

12. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

........because it's not Microsoft. :sad2: