Linux questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Priapus, May 10, 2009.

1. Priapus

Priapus Banned

I'm thinking about buying a netbook with Linux installed, it will probably be an eeePC 900HA or a Dell Mini9.

My question is:

1) What applications are there out there that I could use to find music to download that would be relatively easy to install? i.e. Limewire, Xtorrent equivalents.

2) How would I format an external HD to be sure that both my Mac OS X machine and the Linux machine would be able to read and write to it? UFS? I'm assuming Linux won't be able to see HFS+ formatted volumes.

Thanks

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

eeePCs are still the highest-rated, from what I've seen, but I'd get something bigger than the 900. Maybe the 1000 instead.

There aren't many music programs for Linux; VLC and AmaroK are the best players in my opinion, but as far as finding music goes, you're probably stuck with BitTorrent. iTunes sure as hell won't work (which is stupid, considering OSX is based on *nix, but I guess Apple doesn't want that much exposure to hackers, since only hackers use Linux, right?)

I think OSX can read Ext2/Ext3, which is a vanilla Linux filesystem. If you want universal compatibility, use FAT32 instead; there is also an Ext2 driver available for Windows XP, if you'd rather go that route. I think it's called ext2IFS.

3. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

FAT32 would be fine as long as you don't plan on using it for files over 4GB. Otherwise, any of the Linux filesystems should be compatible with OS X via MacFUSE.

4. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Frostwire?

http://www.frostwire.com/

"FrostWire is a high quality and totally FREE LimeWire PRO alternative. A file sharing p2p (peer-to-peer) program for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux."

5. Priapus

Priapus Banned

Nice. Thanks :wiggle:

6. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

wow, that was a long time.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

And Frostwire fucking sucks now