LINUX Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

Since my POS Dell computer is not really upgradeable and basically for storage and simple office apps, would it be better to load the box with Unix? I have no idea how better it would perform or anything. But all I know is my box is 1.7GHz and only has 128MB of RAM. Yes, I know. Primary HD is 12GB and secondary is 30GB. The only apps that I use now is really Acrobat Pro 7.0 and CS2 and it's dog slow. Problem is, I can't upgrade the memory to anything past 512MB. I wonder if I should just load Linux :x:

2. rpark

rpark New Member

Only if you have reason to load linux on it.

3. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

You would probably get more bang for the buck out of that machine if you used linux. But linux comes with it's own issues, so you might want to test it out firs.

Mebbe download and test a live CD, which will allow you to run *nix off a CD without doing anything to your hard drive, that way you'll know if *nix is right for you.

Try:
    http://www.knoppix.org
    or:
    http://www.ubuntu.com (you'll have to navigate around that site a bit to find the Live CD download)

The nice thing about live CDs, as well, is that they'll give you a good idea, very quickly, of whether or not you have any wacky hardware the *nix will get its tits in a knot over.

That Dell sounds kinda old, so I'm guessing that you shouldn't have any hardware issues for it. The older a computer (or part), the more likely that someone in the *nix community will have written the drivers for to make rocket go.

4. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Oh! Should mention...

The downside to running *nix off a CD is that it's much slower, so it's not exactly a good performance test. Just a way to get to know the environment.

5. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

lolz.....anyways a HUGE question is.......is this a Celeron processor? and what OS are you running currently?

otherwise, put in as much ram as possible, grab a 100gig HDD and you should be set to go.....imo

6. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

it's a P4 processor and it's running XP currently. It WAS running ME, crap.