linux on an old pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manixc, Oct 19, 2003.

1. manixc

manixc New Member

I have an extremely old PC and instead of throwing it away. I want to try puting Linux on it and just basically play around with it.

the spec is (to the best of my knowledge):
    intel 60hz
    16mb ram
    500 mb harddrive
    a cd-rom
    a floppy drive

it's a 486

is it doable or just a waste of time?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Linux will run great on there if you just use the command-line, it'll be slow if you try to run X. It's a fine machine to just play around with Linux on though.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If its a 486, than its probably a 66Mhz machine. I want to say there were a limited number of Pentium 60Mhz machines, but its been a while (486 50Mhz had existed, but that was 25Mhz x 2 while 66Mhz was 33Mhz x 2). Someone currect me if I'm wrong - its been a while...

Either way, no big deal. Yes, you can run Linux. You're not going to have an enjoyable experience running Xwindows or apps like GIMP or SmartOffice. But thats ok. You can run services like Samba, Apache, FTP, email, several flavors of database engines, network routing, and more. It won't be a speed demon, but for what you're doing, it should be fine. The resident Linux gurus here will probably be able to point you to some distros which would be a good fit for your hardware...