Linux Noob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Raisedshoulder, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

I want to start getting into linux more but I'm really not sure which distro to start with. Anyone know what distro would be best to use for a beginner?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Ubuntu I guess. :hsughno:

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I suggest Fedora Core 5 for the complete noob. It's hella easy to install, comes with a gui and all sorts of stuff. I just recently tried Fedora and was most impressed. They've made the installation almost as easy as MS Windows and it recognizes all my hardware during the installation leaving me with a very well configured machine after install. Very, impressive.

After the install, I've added software and patched the distribution. Both were painless and almost trivial. I swear, Fedora is sooo much better then I ever remember RedHad being...it's a very good package.

I tried Ubuntu and it's not living up to the hype. It didn't recognize my MB nor my video card. People keep saying it's easy to patch and update but not if you don't know what you are doing. Everything is easy when you know how to do it.....Ubuntu is supposed to be so advanced but so far, it's been nothing but a pain in the ass for me.

I'm not the smartest Linux guy around but I'm not totally ignorant either. I also have a lot of persistence when confronted with computer problems. However, Ubuntu vs Fedora is IMO no contest....Fedora all the way!!

4. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

Ok thanks I'll install that sometime tomorrow and check Fedora out.

5. Coottie

Fedora Core 5 is a 6 ISO d/l, then you need to burn them to CDs then install. It's not hard but it does take some time. Also, burning an ISO image to CD is not the same as copying the ISO image then burning to the CD.

If you need an easy to install and use ISO program, check out this one:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

If you don't want to mess with the d/l and burning, you can pick up a book, Fedora Core 5 Unleashed and it has a DVD that comes with it that contains the OS. If you have any questions, be sure to ask. g/l

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would suggest Ubuntu. In the many, many Ubuntu installs I've done for myself and at installfests, I've _never_ had a serious hardware compatibility problem. Nearly everything has worked out of the box.

7. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Ubuntu is good their forum helps a lot with problems, Suse has very good hardware detection and is nicely polished.

Combine one of those with a book or wikipedia.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I've been trying to get FC5 set up all day. It doesn't have the driver for my wireless card, and from what I can see it's next to impossible to compile it (no kernel headers, NOT EVEN ON ONE OF THE 5 CDS) or otherwise install it.

I don't think I've ever been as pissed off as I've been today since Windows was my primary OS, seriously.

And what? FC5 was easier to install than any version of Windows I've installed. Same with Ubuntu 6.06. The FC5 installer is great. First time any distro ever took me through so many checks to ensure my monitor settings are correct, sound is working and volume setup however I like, etc.

Other than not being able to get on the internet no matter what I try, FC5 looks the fucking bomb, there's a lot of things in it I prefer compared to Ubuntu. And that's why I've been so pissed off!

9. Coottie

Damn...that sux. I wish I knew more about Linux so I could help you.

I know the frustration tho...for me it came from Ubuntu 6.06. Everyone was saying soo many good things about it that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Soo frustrating that it didn't recognize my MB or Video Card on installation. Since I already had a FC5 box working I was not very motivated to try and fix my problems.

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

If FC5 doesn't have the wlan drivers I can almost guarantee you most of the others don't. FC is based on Redhat and put together by RH employees, or was at one time anyway.

FC4 was the easiest one I've ever had to deal with, easy to use and full of options.

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Yea, but I imagine in Gentoo or that I could compile them, 'cause the headers would be there.

FC5 is pretty old, maybe these drivers weren't in a great state back then. They are beta afterall, but in the last 3 months they've been serving me well. So hopefully FC6 will have them.

I tried to do a network install of the latest SUSE alpha, and it doesn't have the drivers :o (that said, if I installed the 5 or whatever CDs of SUSE I'd hope to be able to compile the drivers easily, which I can't do in FC5).

12. Coottie

Why do you keep saying the headers aren't there?? I'm assuming you are talking about the gnu C/C++ header files? In my install of gnu C/C++ compiler there's plenty of header files there. Perhaps they are just in a different location then you're used to??

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

No, I'm talking about the kernel headers.

And holy crap I had a brainwave. Kernel headers are one thing I just don't get. Most systems use (probably tweaked) versions of Linux later than the kernel headers version, so if I just install any auld kernel headers maybe it'll work just for the one module?

Well I kinda formatted my FC partition, but I woulda needed to reinstall anyhow.

Might try it later...

14. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

Ubuntu was very easy to install and recognized all my hardware.

15. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ubunti recognized all my hardware. i actually use it sometimes, because xp pro with sp2 stopped my bluetooth dongle from working, so i just put in the ubuntu live cd and install the bluetooth package, then i can sync up my phone

16. Coottie

Heh, I've actually switched since this thread. Someone on OT helped me get my drivers installed properly and I've been using Ubuntu ever since. I posting this from my Ubuntu install in fact.

I love Ubuntu now. It has solved soo many problems that I previously had with FC5 that I'm hooked.

17. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I need to find a copy of linux that an old HP6646C will support. (64MB ram , CD-RW drive, originally came out with windows 98:mamoru:) I have a copy of Fedora Core 4 but it is a DVD-R and this computer sucks lol. I do not want jump to linux on my main until I get to play with it/learn it. Basically just going to set this up in another room with wireless router to just to use for internet/getting accustomed to it

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Slackware. Try 11, on XFCE it might run pretty ok. (if not, try fluxbox or another)
    http://slackware.com/
    Legend of an OS in terms of security, stability. But usability? Not really. Putting Ubuntu on your primary machine (assuming you have one) would be a good idea. There's usually nothing to lose. People in circumstances like this try Ubuntu everyday, and it's gotten good at it (it needs to be).

19. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

Yea can't play BF2149 with that old junker so yes I do have a primary. I have a harddrive that I have Fedora Core 4 on but that was for my O/S class at my university and these new damn HP's do not give you the space to install a mobile rack. I should have just updated my custom built computer instead of buying a new HP that was a mistake :hs:

20. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I highly recommend Ubuntu for the linux noob. It's very easy to setup, and very user friendly.

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ubuntu runs fine in just a few gigs - 2 or 3. The minimum is 1.

You'll have no problem resizing even an NTFS partition from within Ubuntu in the case that you fall in love with it and think it should take some space from Windows.

22. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I am using Fedora Core 6 now, and have not had any issues. I've always preferred RedHat (started with 5.1), and have moved up through all the versions of that, and then Fedora.

23. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

ubuntu... ubuntu

24. splanky

splanky New Member

I don't know jack about linux, but I can do almost anything with UBUNTU now. I've had it for about 6 months and I'm pondering leaving windows behind.