Linux NFS help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pancho Villa, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa OT Supporter

Does anyone know a way to have NFS client do some sort of caching. I want to use about 1-2GB of memory for pure caching.
    I'm running a few servers on FedoraCore 2 with the latest apache version 1.3.X
    any suggestions? ideas? anything?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

CacheFS will help in performance for network file systems, but I've never set it up on linux before, plus I don't know if you can dedicate a certain amount of RAM to clients.

Thus cachefs will be another layer right below nfs.

I don't think nfs' native caching can be controlled, just its network timings/settings.

3. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa OT Supporter

thx. Looks like CacheFS might be what I'm looking for
    I'm trying ot inprove performance on a cluster that has 5 clients and 1 very fast NFS server. The only problem is that the tranfser still seems a bit slow

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

There are other things you can tune before you go setting up cachefs.

First I would like to say, NFS is a piece of shit network file system for heavy i/o with large files. But it can be tweaked.

What clients/server platforms using this nfs share? What protocol are you using for nfs? TCP seems to have better performance that the default UDP in my experience. What r/w block sizes are you using? The default is small, you may want to bump them up. These three settings alone can increase performance a lot.

Generally you transfer rate should be the same as say ftp-ing a file from the server to client. Granted your duplex is uniform and correct. NFS file thoughput should equal the max throughput of your NIC.