linux install problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sXeVegan, Jan 14, 2006.

1. sXeVegan

sXeVegan Custom User Title

I tried installing fidora 4 last night and had quite a few problems.

First of all, my friend burned a DVD image for me. When i tried booting off my DVD player it wasn't recognizing the disk. I tried a windows 2000 cd in the same drive and it worked fine. I figured the disk was bad so i got someone else to burn it for me and the same thing happened. Since my DVD player is about 4 years old, im thinking nmaybe it won't play DVD-R media. I've never tried to play a DVD-R in it before so thats what im thinking.

This morning I downloaded the 4 cd version of fidora 4 and tried that out. It begins to boot and i click enter when it asks if i want to do the fidora graphic install. It begins going through a few steps and about 10 seconds later it stops at a point that says "running /sbin/loader" or something like that. I can hear the cd stop spinning after a few seconds and then everything just sits there.

I tried it in both my cdrw drive and dvd drive and neither worked. I'm either going to go buy a linux magazine that has a free copy of suse 10 or fidora 4, or a fidora 4 book, or i might try buying a new DVD drive and seeing if that works.

Any other thoughts on this matter? Should i try something like knoppix to see if that would work? Where can i get knoppix light? Thanks

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

did you check the md5 hash against your download?

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

What is your video card? It is possible that it is not loading the right drivers for the video to show. I remember when I was installing Fedora Core 2, a while ago, I had to do the non-graphical installation, and then download the nvidia drivers afterwards. Therefore, you could try the text-based installation and see how that goes. This method of installing is not much harder.

4. sXeVegan

sXeVegan Custom User Title

just as an update, I decided to go out and buy one of the $10 linux magazines that comes with suse 10. I just finished installing it. Everything went really smoothly and it seems to be running perfect.

5. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

welcome to the linux world and enjoy!