Linux Help Newbie

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C-Lord, Feb 15, 2005.

1. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

Aright i just installed knoppix on my hard drive in my laptop. I'm atotal newbie to linux but i have been fixing windows 98,2k server,xp and os9 for 3 years as a technician so i can figure things out. So anyway i'm trying to install kismet(www.kismet.com) along with orinoco drivers but i'm lost as hell. I understand that in linux u have compile things using /configure, make, and make install i know you must do this in the command line but does it mater where or can i just make a folder where i downloaded the source code and run from there?

But the big problem i'm having is installing this orinoco driver

http://www.kismetwireless.net/HOWTO-26_Orinoco_Rfmon.txt

I can't understand what the hell is going on here
    Any book or help that you guys can recommended to help me understand this would great.

Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i prefer the madwifi project. It's super easy to download from CVS, compile, and install.

3. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

ok i will have to spend some time reading some of the stuff on there website. I'm really trying to get airsnort to work and they said i have to install the special orinco drivers which is a diffrent world from windows.

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

exactly why are you trying to get airsnort working? knoppix + airsnort = wardriving/walking (to me)....which is probably against the forum rules since its illegal to crack another's network.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's the grey area. Technically it's not illigal to map networks broadcasting their SSID, but it is illigal to connect to those networks.

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

agreed, however how many non *nix users have you come across who boot knoppix (std) looking to use airsnort for valid reasons? you can just as easily locate your own, or hell your neighborhoods' networks without knoppix. But what valid reason does someone have to sniff packets that are not originating from their own network? getting a wireless card to work in linux does not require airsnort, so again i ask, why exactly is he trying to get it up and running?

7. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

ok the reason is i work in a school district as a tech. My boss thinks that his wireless network (which is cisco 1200's with wep and registered mac address's) is not crackable. I just want to walk in there and show him that i can get into the network well at least his wep key this will show him up and maybe get me a raise. Plus i would like to see if my network is secure if i run knoppix(airsnort) on my computer and use my girlfriends for traffic(would this work?)

I'm not doing anything illegal with this i promise you. I'm a church going person if that makes you feel any better

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you know that netstumbler does the same thing, right? And that it's windows-based.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It doesn't matter what it's for. If he doesn't mention anything illegal, we assume it's for legitimate purposes (of which there are many) and answer his questions kindly.

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

last i heard, it's also still legal to connect to a wireless network that has all it's security features turned off, any word if this has changed or not?

11. Penguin Man

AFAIK, that's legal. It would be analogous to listening in on conversations on FRS radios that are left unencrypted. Whoever owns the network is broadcasting a radio signal and if you happen to pick it up, that's not their problem.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, in the United States, it is ILLEGAL to connect to any wireless network w/o express consent -- regardless of the presence or absence of encryption or other security precautions.

13. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

so i can install netstumbler on my winxp laptop bring into work and it will crack the wep to show my boss up? How about if our network is not brodcasting will it show up in netstumbler? I have tried that have not seen anyway to capture packets to get the wep key in netstumbler. Any other programs that you guys can think of that will work windows? Or recommend a basic linux book that will help me with installing drivers and compile source code..

Or maybe you guys point me to a forum where people wont be so worried about the legal issues(even though this is for my own networks which i have permission and give permission to people to be on them)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is illigal to capture packets and crack the wep key... I understand you may have permission in this instance, but if you are in such a position then google should not be out of your understanding. I simply cannot tell you because if I tell you, then I have to tell others that may not have good intentions.

15. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

jesus christ. the answer to the question is:

when you download source code, place it anywhere you like, go to that directory at a command prompt and type your commands. just like on any other system, your commands are going to be interpreted according to the PATH variable. however, on *nix, the current directory is not in the path, so we do ./ to indicate the current directory.

and none of that is illegal

16. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

well getting the compiling the source code is not really where i'm stuck at because i can get that runnning and i understand /configure, make, and make install .. Its the install of the special orinoco drivers which has me lost ( http://www.kismetwireless.net/HOWTO-26_Orinoco_Rfmon.txt ) I mean my wireless card works fine in *nix but they are saying i need to install these drivers to do what i want to do..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  17. Penguin Man

It looks like it involves patching the kernel, which I try to avoid in general because it's a bitch to do and can result in seriously fucking up your system. If there are drivers available that compile as modules without patching them into the kernel, that would be preferable.