linux gurus need some help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conduit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. conduit

conduit sup

Im trying to install opensuse using instlux and when i boot and choose opensuse installer, it says cannot mount partition

how would i go about fixing this problem?
    i have the opensuse iso file on my d drive

im trying to install opensuse from my harddrive

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Burn the ISO to a disc and reboot the computer. Installing Linux isn't that hard, in fact if you can't do it I wouldn't suggest using it. Give it a shot, I think you'll be suprised at how easy it is.

3. conduit

conduit sup

thats the thing, im trying not to burn it onto a dvd as there are ways of installing it directly through the harddrive

but i think i might suck it up and buy a 2$ dvd-r :(

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Oh I got ya. I don't know what the deal with that program is, I've never used it. They don't seem to have much support either. I believe opensuse has a version that runs off a CD-R if you have one of those handy.

5. conduit

conduit sup

thanks for the help, i just caved in and went to walmart and bought a 10pck of dvd+r's for 10$cdn :eek5:

reason im installing opensuse is because i want to go into networking engineer and security analyst so i wanna get to learn linux

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh why would you want that distro?

7. conduit

conduit sup

truly don't know just decided to give it a try
    what is wrong with this distro, and what would you recommend?

8. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

any of the bsd's for security, pick the right tool for the job.

9. JaJae

JaJae New Member

SUSE isn't bad. It's partnered up a bit with Microsoft. It isn't a distro to learn if you're interested in doing it for a living. I'd go with a Gentoo or a less user friendly distro if you're looking to do it professionally and want to get a good learning experience from Linux. If it's your first time using Linux it might be easier to learn on a distro like Mandriva, Ubuntu or SUSE though. Lots of support and the distros do most of the work for you.

I'd also recommend building your own linux distro from scratch once you get some experience with it. Using SUSE or similar distro won't really allow you to learn all that stuff as well. I'm fairly new to Linux, and I liked SUSE because of its YAST and it picked up my hardware pretty easily. I've moved over to Gentoo ones and they're not as bad as people make it sound. I'd be pretty confused though if I just jumped right into them.

Once you get good with some of the desktop distros I'd move over to networking ones. I'd say spend a couple weeks trying out numerous distros and playing with Gnome and KDE and setting up Apache servers on desktop distros. Once you get good at that and are comfortable with the way the kernel works start getting into the more professional distros.

I'm not a guru, nor am I an advanced Linux user so someone else might be able to help more. I'm trying to learn it as well and this is the advice I was given. Started off with easy ones and I'm slowly working into different versions.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007