Linux (Fedora) Gurus...newbie needs help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdub12, May 20, 2004.

1. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

I installed Fedora Core 1 on my system today and I fairly new to linux. I downloaded firefox for linux and saved it in my home dir. I unpacked it to a temporary folder and now im kind of unsure what to do as far as getting it compiled or installed properly. The file I unpacked was in the form of a gnu.tar.gz, and im kind of unsure what to do from this point on. I was wondering if any of you could give me a little kick start to get comfortable with the whole linux environment. Thanks for the help.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

in general, when you have a file called blah-1.2.3.tar.gz, the steps are:

1 mkdir temp-directory-name
    2 cd temp-directory-name
    3 tar xvzf blah-1.2.3.tar.gz

normally the untar process will create a directory called blah-1.2.3, but not always. At this point you need to look around and see what you see. If there's a directory, do step 4. otherwise, skip that step and continue at 5:
    4 cd blah-1.2.3
    5 ./configure && make all && make install

the && means "if the previous command completed without error, do this next, otherwise exit"

3. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

when i do a ./configure i get a 'No file or such directory'. I am using bash and I do it in the directory I unpacked the files too...what now?

4. Joe_Cool

well, like I said, that's just the general form. First, are you in the directory that was opened up by the untar operation? Second, if it exists, you may need to be in the src directory.

But most importantly, you need to look for files that are in ALL CAPS. Like INSTALL, README, etc. read them ('less INSTALL' for example) and they will tell you what steps to take.

5. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

there is a shell script called firefox that I can double click on and open thru a terminal which makes the program run....but is this a normal way of executing the program?

6. Joe_Cool

:dunno: I've never used firefox before. What is it?

7. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I'm assuming he means Mozilla Firefox, formerly Mozilla Firebird, aka Mozilla stand-alone web browser.

Anyway, I haven't tried to install Firefox on my Linux box... Actually, right now I'm having trouble upgrading to Fedora Core 2...

Learning Linux for the first time really isn't an easy thing to do. I've been messing around with it for about a year, with the help of a very Linux-saavy friend, and I still can't get my head around a lot of it. Installing an app from a tarball is one of the things my Windows-bred self doesn't like too much about Linux. I mean, I was raised on using installers for any app I wanted. What's this about compiling it myself? But, the more you do it, the more used to it you get. Not all Linux installs are exactly the same. Sometimes, you have to run a perl script to create the ./configure file. A lot of times, you may need to have other programs installed before you can install the program you really want.

I'd try to be of more help right now, but it's kinda late, and I'm still trying to finish my Core 2 upgrade. I would go to mozilla.com. You can also go to texturizer.net/firefox. They would probably have some kind of instructions about installing on Linux.

Maybe tomorrow I can be of more assistance, but that is dependant on my upgrade situation...

8. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

yeah i just realized that there is a core 2 release too. I am going to reformat and reinstall it tonight as well, since i just put on core 1 last night. The firefox that i refer to is the mozilla firefox. Anyways, I tried to install it with the ./configure, make and make install but it doesnt work that way. I run the ./firebird script from bash and it load the program so maybe that is the proper way of doing things? I make a link in KDE but it always prompts whether i want to view the script or run it. is there a way that i can make a link that just runs instead of viewing?

9. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

Step 1: Insert Windows Cd
    Step 2: Wait because installing Windows is easy and installing Linux is just plain silly!

No seriously, there's documentation for installation for every Linux distro. If you're going to use Linux you seriously need to read a lot because they don't make things easy to use; you'll need to follow the instructions.

10. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, looking at the tarball, it seems that you don't need to make anything.... All the files you need to run Firefox are provided pre-compiled. That shell script is what you use to start it. I'm not able to confirm this just yet, because I don't have a Linux box at work, but when I get home...

As far the link in KDE, I would imagine that there is a way to set it up so that it runs by default. I don't normally use KDE, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. I'm a Gnome man myself...

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

it's easiest to use the package distribution system for whatever distro you have chosen, but if ./configure && make && make install doesn' work you might have an installation binary that could be named anything. i think wordperfect is like that.

with any program you should get at least a README and possibly an INSTALL file. read these first - you will see any special notes and you can avoid headaches.

12. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

i am not talking about installing the distro itself, im talking about installing/compiling programs after the distro is up and running.

13. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

i ususally would download the rpm file, but there isnt one for mozilla firefox. anyways, WERU said, i too think its precompiled and you just have to launch the script. But anyways, I appreciate all your inputs thus far. Thanks again!

14. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

U want to get comfortable wit Linux? Get knoppix and use the command knoppix-installer to put it on ur HD from the CD. It is very user friendly Debian hybred with apt-get :-D

15. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

yeah ive played with knoppix for a while now. just wanted to get some other distros under my belt. I have a question though, can you clarify what APT-GET is as I see it a lot when I read about linux?

16. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

apt stands for Advanced Package Tool. It's basically a way to obtain and install software easier than downloading tarballs and installing them manually. I'm no expert, but the way I understand it, there are certain repositories that contain RPMs of different software packages (say, for example, xmms). You can apt-get install xmms, and it will locate not only the xmms RPM but any other packages that xmms depends on, and install them all at the same time. You can also use it to update any packages already installed.

Fedora comes with something called yum, which is basically the same idea. It's really convenient.