Linux distros

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Feb 7, 2004.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

In my algorithms class I have a need to crunch a major amount of data. For consistency purposes, I cannot use my laptop. So I'm going to be installing Linux on a machine of mine to do this. I'll only be installing MySQL, GCC, and Java.

I haven't been keeping myself up to date on the emerging distributions out there. If this was a year ago, I would have just installed RedHat. Fedora I don't feel as comfortable with for whatever reason. I do like the idea of a distribution from Novell, but I haven't heard of any plans for a new release of SuSE. Can anybody help me out in picking one? I don't want to be too bogged down in configuration and installation. I like the ease of RedHat and I'm wondering if I could get the same out of Gentoo.

And please, lets not turn this into the typical Linux thread. When you make a suggestion, give a good reason as to why! :)

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

why not install redhat 9.0? why dont u feel comfortable with Fedora? i thought it was same thing....
    what about Latest Suse or Mandrake?

3. CompiledMonkey

Considering RedHat doesn't produce their free version anymore, I don't want to worry about updates and such from their 8.0, 9.0 products. RH 9 and Fedora Core 1 being the same isn't what I'm concerned about. Fedora hasn't been out long enough for me to make a judgment on for long term use. It will take a few releases to see how they plan on continuing this technology.

SuSE I don't mind, but I haven't found ISOs to download for their distro. Plus, I'd like to see what Novell's plans are to enhance SuSE, if at all.

Mandrake is a distro I never really liked. I made that decision back when I was toying around with RH 7.x.

Out of what I've seen so far, Gentoo has my curiosity. I think I'm going to try it out.

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I think I'd recommend SuSE as well.

7. pr0teus

pr0teus Guest

gentoo can be a p.i.t.a to install!

read the installation instructions carefully

8. CompiledMonkey

Astro, I went through all of that today. I never found an actual .iso file of the distro. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. :dunno:

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

10. CompiledMonkey

Well, I spent a couple hours working on this today with no luck. After I specified where to install from it would have to create some swap space because I only have 64mb of memory. During the process of moving data to this swap space, the machine just reboots. I tried twice and it rebooted at different times during the move. What a pain.

After I got tired with that, I dropped in a RH9 disk but the machine wouldn't want to boot from it for some reason. So I tried a RH8 disk. While I was doing this, I was playing CS on my laptop, so I wasn't paying too much attention. I remember glancing over and seeing something about a system restore going on. Sure enough, about 2 mins later an old RH9 install poped up and asked me to login. I guess I hadn't reformatted the machine since I used it last. Which was probably 8 or 9 months ago. I also found it cool a RH8 disk would restore a RH9 install. :cool:

11. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

u play cs? we need to get together and play.....
    1.6 right? :x:

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Pfffffft... He's a cheater :squint:

I second/third/whatever everyone who's recommended SuSE by the way.

P.S. 1.6/Steam sucks.

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how do u know he is a cheater

1.6 is the latest, i like to keep my software updated :fawk:

14. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

suse is one of the easiest installs I've done

red hat comes in 2nd, but I find suse more hardware friendly

15. CompiledMonkey

:rofl: I did use that one program (can't remember the name) to wall hack years ago. That was fun. :big grin:

I don't hack anymore though, I didn't even think there were any hacks for 1.6 because of Steam.

16. gentoo is a bitch to install...esp on a slow system like you seem to have. on my amd2400 with 768 mb ram it took over 12 hrs to install with the help of my friend who recommended it. it still didnt work so i gave up.

17. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I just installed SuSE 9.0 (didn't want to upgrade, but fucked up my 8.2 and had to). It went incredibly smoothly, highly recommended, even more so than 8.2 was.