Linux distros

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astaroth, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth New Member

Ok, so I have a 6 week break coming up soon before I begin my next set of network management units. We've been using Fedora Core 3 under VMWare so far, and while I find it ok, I prefer SuSE, and wouldn't mind giving Slackware a shot, but can't run any GUI under slackware besides x (gde and kdm result in some painful GPU errors, not familiar with any of the others that came with 10.1) , which is irritating as all hell.

Anyway, I'm looking at spending my time going over all that stuff I learnt this semester in terms of Linux administration, but I want to try some other distros as well. My primary interests right now are security features and networking tools, as well as being good for general use, as I'll be looking to switch to Linux entirely from my XP setup in the future.

So, that said, what can you guys recommend?

2. tony

tony Guest

Debian and Gentoo are the only other ones I've found worthwhile.

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Debian, or Gentoo. Both will get you learning more than you think.

I'm a fan of debian personally, it runs great on headless machines.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Like Shaggy said, Debian and Gentoo would be good ones to try if you want to flex your Linux admin muscles.

However, for a desktop distro (something to replace XP), I would recommend Ubuntu.

5. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I try not to like Ubuntu, because I prefer KDE. But Kubuntu/KDE is still too buggy. Other "major" distros (fedora, suse, mandriva, ect) tend to be pretty bitchy about the hardware configurations they go on in my experience. But Ubuntu "just works" for the most part. It's powerful and flexible and the only major difference between it and other distros is it makes you an admin user (not to be confused with root). I've been doing another round of distro-shopping lately, and I just keep coming back to Ubuntu.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

What issues have you had with Kubuntu? I can't imagine that it's much more buggy than the regular Ubuntu, since the codebase is entirely the same other than KDM/KDE replacing GDM/Gnome.

7. Apothis

Apothis New Member

There have been a few issues, but one that comes to mind is when I set the screensaver to lock the computer after x-minutes, I am unable to unlock it again (fail authentication), must open a new session, and still have to do a hard shutdownl on the computer to reboot due to "another user being logged in" or someshit. I had to disable autolock, but I hate to do that. I hear it's a kde issue, not (k)ubuntu.

Used to also have a problem with kuser, though that's not so relevent with 5.10 now. In any case, I keep having issues pop up with kde; it just doesn't seem as mature as gnome.

8. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

If you're going to do any debian based system I really recommend actually learning debian. It's just that to me it's always easier to switch between different sub-distros when you have a good grasp on the base.