Linux Crew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RalphL, Aug 11, 2005.

1. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

What is a good type of linux for an old laptop. My sister gave me her old laptop with 64mb RAM and a p1. I'm just going to use it for screwing around.

2. Synner

Synner New Member

Does it have a hard drive at all?

If so, look into Damn Small Linux, it takes up all of maybe 50Mb, and doesn't take many resources at all.

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

i would agree....with old systems youll be hard pressed for window managers that work on it (yes there are some but they wont be pretty)....meaning you will most likely be going CLI....if you go that route then many distros will work fine, you will just have to tailor make the install so that it is not very bloated

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Not true at all. It's not like X was just invented when the P4 came out. :ugh:

Try Redhat 5. I used to run RH5.2 on a pentium 166 laptop with 64mb of ram and a 10gb hard drive. It worked just fine.

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Gentoo will leave you with the fastest computer in the end. A stage 3 install doesn't take much time, however, if you want the fastest laptop you can have go with a stage 1 install and possible distributed compiling so that it doesn't take a week to get it up and running.

The people in the gentoo forums are really helpful, and the gentoo IRC channel will get you answers in seconds.

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

let me rephrase, what i was saying is that the ultra pretty versions of X will not work great on it, ya you can get older versions of X11 (with older distros like you said), but they will not be as "attractive" as the new versions...in other words for X on a system like that, elightenment or KDE 3.4.2 would NOT be preferable to CDE or KDE 1.0 ....i read this forum before ive had my coffee ;)

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

That's true. Except that I knew lots of guys who were running Enlightenment back in 97, when redhat was in its 4.x or 3.x stage. :)

As long as you use an environment appropriate for your hardware, it'll be fine.