Linux Crew: Anyone Tried Enlightenment / E17?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Jan 31, 2006.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I got a good glimpse of it today, and it is visually impressive. Like, something Macheads should be worried about. It was stunning and worked without any jitters... but it was full of bugs. For example, file browser did not open, and crashed. Perhaps I installed it wrong? Or is it known for being developmental.

Also, I there was no menu to find all my programs (amaroK, Gaim, totem, etc)... is that an add-on?

2. skelm

skelm New Member

Any chance for screenshots?

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Right over here

4. coronet

You'd really have to see a video or use it to see what makes it special. Everything kind of interacts in a very artsy way. Like the program dock enlarges the specific application when you mouse it over, and changes the a locked-on viewer mouse that glows porportional to how close to the center of the icon you are. And all the windows sheen and shine whenever you glossover them.

Also, for you Penguin, when you roll up the window (since you use XFCE, I assume you use the roll-up funtion), you can see it visually compact.

It's just full of fun visualizations. Neat stuff.

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

That 2nd screenshot is :love:

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Very impressive. Maybe I won't have to feel like my Linux desktop is totally ugly compared to my iBook desktop any longer ;)

7. Penguin Man

:coold:

I tried out a bunch of WM's last night, since I decided XFCE was too heavy (it was taking a few seconds to start up when I log in). I'm on OpenBox now. Very light, very nice :bigthumb:

8. coronet

Cool. I scoped out Fluxbox on DSL (fits on a USB drive, you know) and while small, was also visually unappealing.

I'm still sticking to the more heavier ones; I like visual over speed, really. So what if Gnome takes a couple seconds to boot -- it's pretty and supported largely, you know?

9. Penguin Man

Yeah, I'm not a big flux fan either. Too hard to set it up to do what I want. And it takes about as long to start up as XFCE does on my machine.

Eh, Gnome just has a lot of bloat in it that I don't use. As long as my WM gives me a menu when I right-click the desktop and has configurable keybindings and sloppy focus, I'm happy. Anything more is wasted on me.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I need a transparent xterm that shows other windows behind it, and not just the background image, myself. I use this all the time if I lookup documentation on the web I can read it through the xterm as I use it at the command line, in a text editor, etc.

11. Penguin Man

eterm and aterm both do this, I believe.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Last time I looked a couple years ago, there was nothing out there that did this. I'll try e and a tomorrow.

13. coronet

I know eterm does this from screenies I've seen; and GNOME terminal just does transparency to the background, so that's on the outs. But it also looks like eterm is tacked to the background? Maybe not.

14. Penguin Man

Hrm, yeah, the current versions of eterm and aterm may just do it to the background, although I've definitely heard of some terminal (probably eterm) implementing true transparency. Enlightenment likes to be on the cutting edge of what X can do, so I think eterm may be the best bet.,

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was so disappointed when I set it up all perty like Aqua and then... it just did the background.

16. wtfmate

wtfmate OT Resident mafia insider

:greddy: bloated window managers FTL!!

windowmaker > *

17. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:mamoru: If you were all about efficiency you wouldn't use a GUI at all.

Shit > Bumping 18-day-old threads > WindowMaker

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

GUIs make me much more efficient. The advanced capabilites do too. I lookup documentation in Firefox, and read it through a transparent x-term, where I apply it.

Million examples like this that just aren't possible with a CLI interface. What makes you more efficient depends entirely on YOU. Its not a universal. It varies for each person. But rest assured: GUIs make most people more efficient.

And... I don't know anyone who thinks doing Java development from the CLI or in something like Emacs or vi is more efficient than doing it in Eclipse. Actually, its an order of magnitude more efficient in Eclipse.

And it would just be Sooooooo much fun to use Excel to do revenue and expense projections and charts in a command line environment. Not being able to paste data between spreadsheets and documents would really make my day. Miserable.

GUI > CLI. Unless you edit text files all day that have little interdependancy. A la a system administrator on a *nix system.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  19. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

That was a completely sarcastic post on my part. My point was that if you're going to gave a GUI it might as well look nice.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Lying Backpedaling Fuckhead!

21. coronet

Eh, reflecting on E17, its just to impress. Kind of like Aqua (MacOSX's interface), its pretty, but in the end... just kind of too bare-boned Still, E17 is much more stripped than Aqua, and maybe even lighter than fluxbox? But the graphics weight it down. I'd say, lets let the project grow... it going to become a great GUI in a year or so... something to turn people's heads toward Linux.

Check out the live CD; uses debian, and seems to be pretty compatible (everything worked fine on my PC):

http://www.elivecd.org/

I think the real visual GUI we got to keep our eyes on is Gnome 2.14 + Xorg 7 + GLX + Compiz:

http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi