Linux Buffs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DragonLook, Aug 17, 2004.

1. DragonLook

DragonLook Too weird to live, too rare to die **Toronto Crew*

With the release of the new SP2 patch by windows and with the apparent security flaws already found with it, I started to wonder why windows can't impliment a security system in the same way linux does. Basically, why can't windows impliment a permissions type of filesystem such as linux, with users and groups and with each user or group being allowed to access different areas of the computer depending on the permissions they are given.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ease of use. It's much more difficault to make a computer friendly when you have to work with permissions. Most computer users want to be able to do everything on their computer without ever having to enter a password. On Linux, this isn't possible, as to do many administrative tasks, you require super-user permissions and it is dangerous to use the machine as root all the time.

SuSE, Mandrake, and RedHat have managed to make products that are pretty freindly and allow you to administrat without much hassle, but you still have to enter a password, which makes it scarier to your average user than Windows.

3. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

windows does offer group permissions.. (users and groups) most of the stuff on the drives are accessible but personal folders (stuff in Documents and Settings.. ) are only accessible by the user, unless you're an adminstrator on the box, then you'll have complete access to all the files..

probably 99% of home users will exclusively use an account that has administrator rights. in linux distros you are usually required to use a user account and not the root account.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Hello? Windows does have a permission type of file system with users and groups and groups being allowed to access different areas of the computer. Most just don't know it, because as Supadoggie said, most home users have administrator rights, which is access to everything on a Windows machine.

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

Linux has LOTS of loops in it (just as windows), but you don't hear about them as much, because Windows is currently the #1 OS. But you do have the right idea of thinking. If Windows was to take the same standing point as Linux, it would be more secure, then it currently is.

I'm personally still learning Linux, even though I've been using it on & off some a few years now. Seems like everytime I think I know something, it changes or I only know 1/2 the story. Sometimes is much more stable & other times, it's more easy to totally fuck up the whole OS (format, install). So it has a long way to go, before it becomes a user friendly desktop.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

True, Pheonix. Linux is just about as insecure as Windows (Excluding permission wise), but since Windows is the #1 OS, we don't hear about it. Also, if Windows took the same stand point as linux, there would be many problems with users... many... and desktop support will rise in demand.

7. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

If you want secure go with OpenBSD, then again you can't do nearly as many things as you could with a Windows machine. Just stay current with Windows patches and you'll stay fairly secure.

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

let's define our terms here. linux is the kernel. there are not a huge number of exploits for the kernel itself. the majority of patches released are for applications that run on linux. also, one reason you see so many posts about linux patches is that each distro sends out their own advisories and updates - connectiva, gentoo, mandrake, redhat - all saying "update your system"

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

However, in Linux it is possible for a user to install a program into their home directory for their use only without root persmissions. In Windows, all programs must be installed by the administrator. This difference makes it far more viable to use a non-administrator account in Linux.