Linux, Apache, MYSQL, PHP-- Oh My!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chpkorean, May 29, 2007.

1. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

I have topical knowledge but would like a deeper understanding of the whole Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL, PHP deal. There are so many places that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start FIRST.

What is a good book to learn Apache? MySQL? PHP?

I'm running an p4 3.2 XP Home on an old laptop. I don't want to fudge around and mess up my machines as they are pretty much my production machines.

I wanna learn Server Administration and don't know where to begin really. I suppose I can go to the corresponding sites like apache.org, php.net, etc, but I have a hard time reading on screen for long periods of time and would rather not have to print pages and pages of docs.

I guess I want to know what books you've found helpful. My main concern is learning to webmaster a site so I can secure it in Apache and prevent hacking of my site.

I have no programming experience, so I'm more visually oriented. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you have problems reading a computer screen for long periods of time you do NOT want to be a sysadmin.

3. jamesyenson

jamesyenson New Member

I am starting to get more into computers and i know that Linux can be useful. But I also enjoy playing games and using windows software. Will I lose it all if I download the Linux operating system?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends on how you do it. You could, but you don't have to.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

if you download the operating system, no you will not lose anything. if you install it, yes you could potentially do harm to your machine. especially if you're not so sure about what you're doing

6. deezil

deezil New Member

7. jamesyenson

jamesyenson New Member

I did a little research and i found out that I can have two operating systems running on my computer (Dell Windows XP) if I partition my hard disk drive and then "buy" a program that lets you choose which operating system you use during boot-up. The only thing left I have to find out is if there is a version of Linux that i can get for free where I have the basic windows apps. Any suggestions?

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

All most all distros can do LAMP out of the box, but it really defeats the purpose if you want to learn.

Get an old P3 / P4
    Learn to install the operating system, preferably without the mouse.
    Learn how to configure it, manage services
    Learn how to compile & configure apache, mysql etc.
    Learn how to fix it when somebody messes it up.

Its a lot of learning, a couple of good books will help a lot.