Linux and Windows Dual Boot Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jorban, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jorban

jorban Guest

I currently have XP Home on my laptop and am looking to dual boot with Linux Ubuntu. I really don't know how I would go about this. Right now, my 55GB hd is partitioned into three drives (32g 9ish and 13ish). Any help on this would be great. Thanks

2. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

If it's already partitioned then all you have to do is install linux on the partition you want it on.

3. jorban

jorban Guest

I installed linux on a different partition, but now whenever I boot, it automatically boots into linux and i can't seem to get it tp give me the option of booting into windows. Even when I put in a windows CD, it doesn't recognize that there is already a version of windows on my computer. I didn't format when I installed linux, i just installed it onto another partition. any other ideas?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You just need to change the active partition back to Windows - look for a boot disk with fdisk on it.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ubuntu should setup grub to automatically include the Windows partition in the bootloader menu at boot :dunno:

6. deezil

deezil Guest

What he said. If it didn't though, you can add in the lines to grub.conf to make it find the windows partition again. Unfortunately, I don't have it here to copy and paste for you. But google "editing grub.conf dual boot" and I think you'll find a good link or two that will help.

Oh, this may help as well. Sounds a little like you: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33778