linux and hardware questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dranian, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I'm going to be building a new computer soon and I would like to start learning to use linux. I'll probably install Ark linux or maybe Fedora in a dual boot with windows xp. I'm hoping to learn to use linux and eventually stop using windows for everything except occasional gaming. The thing is, I've heard bad things about hardware compatibility with linux. I've spent a lot of my time lately trying to figure out what will work and what won't before posting this but I can't really find much information on it.

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me figure out what works and what doesn't work with linux either by telling me where I can find the information or if you know if something works or doesn't just tell me. If something listed won't work, can you recommend something similar that will work.

The setup I was hoping for (but have no idea if any of it is linux compatible) is listed below:

Case:
    Asetek Vapochill XE II Cooling Case (also for freon cooling of the CPU)

PSU:
    3DO ATX 650W

CPU:
    AMD Athlon 64 3800 939 pin

MOBO:
    Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI

Memory:
    kingston or corsair 1GB pc3200 ddr400 184pin

HDD:
    Maxtor 250GB

Monitor:
    two LG L1710B

DVDRW:
    BenQ dw1625

Video card:
    Geforce 7800gtx 256MB PCI-E

I'm thinking my main problem will be with the motherboard and its drivers. and maybe the dvd writer. I would think everything else should work ok with linux, right? I really know almost nothing about linux though.

If nobody knows anything about any of the above components can you just recommend a stable/reliable linux compatible motherboard with SLI and decent features for overclocking? Also if any linux user has a DVD burner with lightscribe I'd like to know wich one.

I realize my questions may be hard to answer but I'd appreciate any help I can get. thanks.

2. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

I suggest using Gentoo

http://www.gentoo.org

You can install the latest version and most drivers directly from the web, it has good tutorials that are easy to follow, and it's just an all around easier linux distro to use.

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

well, this wasn't really a "help me pick a distro" thread, though i do appreciate your input. Do you think the hardware listed above would work with that distro?

4. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

I've installed gentoo on 3 different boxes, the oldest of which has 5+ year old components in it. In that box (the oldest) I had to hold it's hand through finding the NIC drivers... that was the only hardware issue I've ever had with Gentoo. So, based on my previous experience, no, you shouldn't have any problems with the hardware you have.

I also don't install a GUI on my gentoo boxes since I don't use them as desktops. That doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but one part about using Gentoo is finding the interface that is right for you.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I agree with the avless noob.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've done Ubuntu installs on a number of machines and never had serious hardware problems. The most problematic was my girlfriend's Toshiba laptop, but it's mostly resolved now.

If you want to check about compatibility with specific hardware, try http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl.