Linsys router shockingly flaky...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I just got a Linksys WRT54G v6 for two computers. One is connected via ethhernet while the other is using WiFi. The WiFi computer works fine while the ethernet connection is flaky. It works for a while but in a couple of hours, the connection goes totally dead. I can ping the router and even log into it but the router refuses to route packets from the internet to the ethernet computer while claiming that everything is still fine.

The only way to get it working again is to reset the router, either by power cycling or by saving a vital setting (like lease duration).

What's going on? Should I have gone with another manufacturer? Why doesn't this thing work properly? How hard is it to make a working router?
    Thank you...

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Sounds like a bad one. I've worked with a lot of WRT54G's and that's not normal or common. Remember all these things are made in China for like $5 so a certain DOA rate is expected.

3. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

While we're on the subject of this router, have you ever installed DD-WRT on any of them?

And to the thread starter, sounds you like got a bad one. I have one and never had a problem :dunno:

4. Robb

Robb Guest

i have the same problem, have had on the last 3 too, they work for 3 months or so, then do that

5. DynamiteHaxor

DynamiteHaxor New Member

Yup, I'll buy a new one, then I'll have to reset it about once a day because it will fuck up. I think they're programmed to self-destruct after ~3 months of usage :mamoru:

6. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

Had one for 2 days...realised how much it blew chunks and returned it. Wireless was dropping constantly and it choked on torrents. Picked myself up a D-Link DGL-4300 and it's been rock solid. :coold:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sad to see Cisco's equipment performing so poorly. First off, the interface is way too complicated, and second, there's no provision for heat dissipation.

Granted, D-Link routers have no heat dissipation either, but they cost less and their interface is understandable by someone who isn't a networking whiz.