Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Is there any way to get version 4? Im on Newegg and Amazon and everyone in the comments is complaining how now they are only shipping version 5 routers, one guy wrote;

From Amazon:
    "As of November 2005 Amazon is shipping "Version 5" of the WRT54G. Thing is - it's a completely different product than they've been shipping for the past several years. Whereas Versions 1-4 were incremental tweaks to the hardware, Version 5 is a completely new entry, with far less RAM and running a completely different operating system (VxWorks). All previous versions ran Linux and were known for their high quality and reliability, as well as the ability to use upgraded firmwares. See other comments here and on other linksys-enthusiast sites - this new version is a turkey"

From Newegg:
    "This version has 1/2 of the RAM and is NOT Linux based as previous versions were. If you do not care about such things, it is still a good router. If you do, then you know it is now worthless. Worse is that there is no way to tell the version without looking at the bottom of the router, so you are ordering it at your own risk."

...what will having less ram and a different operating system do to my wireless connection? Why did they do this to the routers? Im just trying to set up my home DSL wireless so i can use my laptop.

2. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

. But the alternative firmwares are MUCH better than what Linksys provides. If you look at linksysinfo.org you can find a guide that shows what serial numbers correlate to which versions of the WRT54G. Then you can grab one from Compusa or Best Buy. You could also consider the WRT54GS, same router with double the flash and RAM (useful space for added scripts and utilities). I would recommend HyperWRT for your replacement firmware. I prefer OpenWRT but that takes a bit more to set up and is not for the novice.

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

ummm ok. So im just buying this to play BF2 on my laptop wirelessly, is the extra flash and RAM that important? $80 seems like a crapload of money for a router. Im just curious if its really worth it for what im going to be doing - is the firmware like the drivers that the router uses?

4. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

From what I've heard, the newer routers are bad in terms of signal dropping and dealing with dhcp releases and renewals. So if you're main use for it is wireless, then yeah it would be beneficial to you to get one that wouldn't drop you signal. I've got one of the earlier models, and it's been a workhorse for almost 3 years now.

5. noxxs

noxxs New Member

why the reason for hacked firmware? i though all firmware was equally shitty, and isnt that pretty ballsy putting some hackers firmware on your router?