Linksys Wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dominion, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Ok recently I picked up a wireless suite for my apartment. I got 802.11g all around from linksys. One for my laptop, computer, and of course the router. The computer works great. Never had a problem after I setup the encryption logging in. However my laptop has only worked in the bedroom once. And that was on my older 802.11b router. Problem was it was at 11band going through the wall, so it was a bit slow.

Now I have my laptop setup in the living room (same as my computer and router) and everytime I get no association with access point. Or something like that, I've updated drivers and no matter what I use to get it to access, it does not work. Any ideas?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Linksys routers have the option of 802.11g AND b or just g OR b. Make sure you are supporting both types of connections incase your laptop only supports 802.11b.

Since you are in an apartment make sure you aren't picking up someone elses wireless network with the laptop, if they have a shitty connection to you then it could seem like you "never" connect.

Do both computers have Windows XP? With service pack 2? If not then get them there, it has better support for wireless networks.

Are you using different WEP keys for the desktop and the laptop? I'm pretty sure that one key goes to one computer, the router should give you four when you roll it up.

3. Dominion

Ok I forgot to mention, my card will see my SSID but it will not let me connect, I've tried with the same key the entire time, but I've not tried the other keys it gives me.

And for the wireless support, the laptop should support whatever PCMCIA card I put in it, regardless of the standard. AS long I have the drivers. The router is set to both and besides the encryption and a few port forwarding things, it's all set to standard defaults.

Weird thing is the same utility and setup works WONDERFUL on my PC.

=/

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

This would be my first step now :)

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

My guess for the overall problem would be the settings. Sounds like the encryption/authentication etc is not correct. If you can see the SSID there is a good chance that you have enough signal to connect, and some setting is preventing you. My suggestion would be to delete the current settings and start over.

What OS are you running? Are the settings in the OS and the device software conflicting?

The connection in the room issue may be another 2.4 GHz device. Some odd reason one of our G networks is very touchy to other devices, especially our surveillance cameras that run on 2.4 GHz similar to cordless phones. Walk into one office and you will loose your network connection, even with the Access Point in that room. Turn the camera outside the window off and all is good (security was not happy but who cares). This had the same symptoms of seeing the SSID but loosing network.

2.4 GHz is not that sensitive to standard structures… My home routers is 4 walls away from my laptop and it works great (Linksys G). I can even walk across the street to the neighbors and it works in their house with 50%+ signal (2 more exterior walls and 100 feet). Here at work we have cinder block walls and the 802.11B works just fine (the exception of the above mentioned issues with that particular G network which is isolated to a specfic location - yes we several different wireless networks on the same lan.)

6. Dominion

Hrm, I will try these things. The settings between the OS and the software is the same. I've yet to try it from my bedroom so I might try that tonight. Also going to try the different keys. And as soon as I get the new drivers for the one on my PC I'm probably going to switch to WPA, see if that changes anything. I'll keep everyone updated :p

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

What OS's are you running?

8. Dominion

Ah forgot that, XP Pro